4th of July at Mt. Rushmore


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mt. RushmoreMt. RushmoreMt. Rushmore

in sunshine with state flags
We left the campground around 8:30 hoping to beat the crowds to Mt. Rushmore. We pulled off the highway and took some pictures of the still not completed Crazy Horse monument.

At Mt. Rushmore we were surprised to get a good spot in the parking garage near the elevator and the entrance. We left Moe in the car where it was cool and comfortable for him. There were quite a few people there already, but not suffocatingly so. The skies were blue when we arrived, but after touring the museum and watching some film, we noticed the storm clouds moving in. We saw George Washington and Abraham Lincoln posing for pictures in the visitor center and the viewing area. I do enjoy Mt. Rushmore, and find it quite moving. The rain began just as we were leaving the observation area. We finally all made it back to the car without anyone getting too wet.

We then drove down Iron Mountain Road with its tunnels aimed at Mt. Rushmore and its pigtail turns. The rain continued, making overlooks useless, so we came back to the campground instead of driving the Needles Hwy.

Back at camp we ate lunch and
Crazy Horse monumentCrazy Horse monumentCrazy Horse monument

near Custer, SD
loaded pictures onto computers. Then we burned copies of our entire trip pictures for each other. Gena and I did laundry so we’d have clean clothes for the trip home.

We enjoyed our final supper of the trip with Bob and Gena, and remembered some of our favorite and least favorite places along the way. After 12,009 miles together, we’re splitting up. Bob and Gena are hurrying home as they have an offer on their house and have to get their things moved out. It’s been a fun trip and we’ve relied on their knowledge of Alaska, BC and Yukon. We’ll miss hearing their voices on the walkie-talkies and sharing meals and laughs. Have a safe trip home, we’ll see you in DeFuniak Springs in a few weeks. Thanks again for everything.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mt. RushmoreMt. Rushmore
Mt. Rushmore

with storm clouds moving in
Mt. RushmoreMt. Rushmore
Mt. Rushmore

from overlook along Iron Mtn Rd, through the rain


6th July 2010

Never been to Mt Rushmore....hope to see this unbelievable sight one day!!!

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb