Mount Rushmore


Advertisement
Published: April 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a quiet stop over in Hot Springs we headed for the much anticipated Mount Rushmore. We drove through Wind Cave National Park as a via point and we were so pleased we did. Around one of the bends we were delighted to see a small herd of Bison. We are hoping to spot some in Yellowstone, so this was an added bonus. They appeared to be females with their young and we managed to get quite close to them (in our car). We also spotted a few prairie dogs, with their heads peering out of their holes they looked so cute.

We arrived at Mount Rushmore around lunchtime and took our time walking around and taking photos. Fortunately for us it was very quiet so we could take our time. Once you are at Mount Rushmore though there is not much to see besides the obvious carvings on the granite rocks. But it was definitely worth the stop. To think that these carvings of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln were created between 1927 and 1941 and are still in one piece. We walked along the Presidential Trail which takes you as close as you can get to the carvings, almost underneath their noses but, you cannot climb the rocks.

We then made our way to Rapid City (South Dakota) for the night. Once again it was a stop over point (on our way to Yellowstone).

Today we drove to Laurel, Montana (our last town before Yellowstone). There is not much to see between these towns, except vast expanses of flat farm land. But we manage to fill up this time talking, listening to podcasts (from bbc radio 1) and reading our bible. We made a small detour through Spearfish Canyon and saw where they filmed 'Dances with Wolves', oh and our wildlife spotting continued - we saw 2 beavers.

We stocked up with food supplies (for the following week) and then walked around Laurel - which did not take too long. We had an early celebration for my birthday at a local diner - a traditional steakhouse (the food was lovely but a bit unusual for us- Billy tried roasted sweet potato dipped in maple syrup!!!!!????? and we tried American Pop (soft drink) Ugh definitely not our thing, but their steaks were excellent). The staff were very friendly - one couldn't remember if we were from South Africa or South America? And then he asked 'Why are there so many whites in South Africa compared to the rest of Africa?' I kindly let Billy answer that one.

Tomorrow we drive to the long awaited Yellowstone National Park and back to our trusty tent. I am sure we will not be disappointed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



27th April 2010

Happy Birthday
Sandra!!! I just noticed on my calander that you had your birthday last Friday!!! Happy happy birthday! i am sure this will be a great one that you wiope you guys are having fun camping again and that Billy totally surprised you with something VERY special that he has mananged to hide form you and sneaked into your tent...to celebrate this birthday with??!!!! Thomas ask for you ALL the time. You are definitely not forgotten in this house!!!! All our love M
2nd May 2010

I'd also kindly let Billy answer that one =)

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb