To drive the drive of drives


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Keystone
August 21st 2015
Published: September 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We're back! I know it's been a very (very) long hiatus, and most likely the only people to read this will be those who get the emails and those who they alert, but I figured I'd put my last few entries up tonight, just in case. Also, for those family members I haven't yet seen.

Today, we drove. We drove for about 10 hours, to be precise, with only a handful of stops. The first 2-3 hours were, in fact, the best driving on the planet. Look it up. Trail Ridge Road is the highest paved road in the country, peaking at a bit over 12,000 feet, and it is curvy and windy, breezy and windy. Parts are above the tree line, views are out of this world, and the second half can be coasted in neutral. There are no words to properly describe it, but driving it was insane.

Coming out of it, we had a bit of boring driving. Quite a juxtaposition, to be sure. We passed through Cheyenne, where we stopped for Starbucks, the State Museum, and to see the capital/ol of the smallest state (population-wise). From there, more boring driving up to the Black Hills, where we arrived around 10:00. Truly, it was a long day of not a lot of excitement, but I do have to go back and say again just how unreal driving the Trail Ridge was.

When we got in, though, we did find a restaurant still open. Which, in the middle of nowhere, at 10:00, is impressive. Best of all, they had buffalo burgers. You have not lived until you've eaten buffalo, it's true. Tomorrow, on to see some faces!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb