There is music here too!


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Those of you who are not generous of nature will be glad to know that this morning was a cloudy one with the temperature at 56 degrees first thing. However, the humidity is still quite low at 44%. Not too shabby! If we could, we would send some of this back to you. Since we can’t...we will just continue to enjoy!

We had a very light breakfast today because of our plans to walk back downtown and have lunch at the Alpine Inn, which we have been told is the best restaurant in town. We would certainly not argue with anyone on that particular issue. We got there about 12:30 and had a short wait before being seated in one of the several dining rooms. The place was packed, and after we had our delicious meal of Schnitzel, we can understand why. It was wonderful. To complete our day of sin, we brought back a piece of Apple Strudel which will serve as our dinner after while. Below I will give you a little history of Hill City and the Alpine Inn according to local information:

The town of Hill City, first know as Hillyo and the second town in the Black Hills, originated in conjunction with the 1876 discovery of placer gold deposits in Spring Creek. It’s population fluctuated in regards to the severity of the “gold fever” inflicted on its residents, and as the gold rush moved north to Deadwood, rumor had it that Hill CIty was populated by “one man and a dog.” In 1883, the discovery of tin attracted enough English capital to organize the “Harvey Peak Tin Mining, Milling, and Manufacturing company.” Even though the mill was a short-lived disappointment, the company spent millions of unseen investor’s dollars boosting the town’s economy for nearly ten years and making sure that management lived in the lap of luxury.

“The company built the Harney Peak Hotel for use by its mining executives. The hotel wa a favorite spot for Sunday diners and a rendezvous for mining, timbering, and railroad men active in the area. The town was nicknamed “One Mile of Hell” because it had a “church on one end, with one mile of hell in between.” This was in reference to the more than fifteen bars on Main Street and their associated rowdiness and gunfights. The mining company ceased operations in 1892. Surviving two major fires the hotel and dining room remained in operation until 1934.

Waldtraut (Wally) Matush came to the United States from Stuttgart, Germany in 1961, moved to Hill City in 1970 and acquired the Harney Peak Hotel in 1974. Over a ten year period the Hotel had housed a variety of businesses until it became home of the present Alpine Inn in 1984. Wally is the “matron saint” of the Alpine Inn and plans are to bury her in the basement when she dies so that she can haunt the building with the rest of its ghosts. In 1966, Wally turned over the reins to her daughter, Monica who carried on with the traditions started by her mother.”

After eating we walked back up Main Street on the way to Trailside Park. We were surprised to see something that we all have grown used to in Nashville—street musicians! We stopped to listen and John, as all who know him will NOT be surprised to hear, opened up a conversation. Steve Thorpe, the guitar player, told us that he had visited the Bluebird in Nashville, but felt that it was too commercialized for him so he left and now enjoys his music here in the Black Hills and in Austin, Texas. OJ Laire, the banjo player, is also from Austin and the Black Hills area. At any rate, we listened to them for several minutes and enjoyed the “sound of home” very much! Just as a side note, Steve Thorpe writes his own music as well as performs, but like the rest of us, he is getting a little older every day. But boy, we sure did enjoy his songs and his sound!

We are now back in camp, and one of us who shall remain nameless, is taking a nap. You figure out which one! From our campsite we can see Main Street and all of its RV, off road vehicles, motor cycles, cars and trucks roll by. It is fun to watch.

Now for some homework on your parts: We haven’t decided for sure as of yet, but are starting to hone in on our plans for when we pull out of Hill City on Sunday morning. Right now we are thinking that we will go north west and see Lead, Deadwood, and Sturgis, SD. Maybe spend a night in that area...possibly. From there we would go to Spearfish, SD which we understand is a beautiful area, and is one we have never been to. We definitely plan to go to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota, which is one of the few National Parks we have not seen as of yet. From there, at some point in time, we may head either into Canada or into Minnesota. Here is where your homework comes in—if any of you Minnesotaites (and you know who your are) have any suggestions of some “must sees” let us know. So put on your thinking caps, and give us some feedback!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Street MusiciansStreet Musicians
Street Musicians

OJ Laire on banjo and Steve Thorpe on guitar and harmonica


6th July 2018

Great history lesson
Pat loved all the old time story. So excited to see pics of all your future destinations. Especially Theadore Roosevelt Park. Those musicians looked pretty old bet they were good. Apple Strudel is also another favorite of mine. David and I went to a Lowe’s for bolts and screws and ended up finding all my new appliances for a great price with all kinds of rebates and gift cards. We ordered a new credit card for holiday inn to get a bunch of points for our Amsterdam London trip in Spring. Points to pay for hotel rooms. Use card to pay for new appliances gift card to get new Garbage disposal. Do you think I deserve new appliances after mine are beat to death from me cooking millions of meals. Safe travels will ask Marla about Minnesota ideas.
6th July 2018

Boundary Waters, Gooseberry Falls, Headwaters of the Mississippi, MALL OF AMERICA, Minnehaha Falls, lock and dam in Minneapolis, Twins and Vikings stadiums. These are just some of the main attractions! Of course, MOA is my favorite!!!?
6th July 2018

Thanks Jane!
Probably won’t be as far north as boundary waters. John is looking stuff up on map now.
6th July 2018
Street Musicians

Howdy!
Loving the pictures and commentary!
7th July 2018

contrast
I LOVE the phone booth next the the ATM machine ;-)
7th July 2018

Us too!
We thought it was such a contrast in time.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb