The Eye of The Needle


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

What can I say—another beautiful morning. I would say that it is getting boring...but it isn’t!

Since it was such a pretty day John came up with the idea to call a local company, Ken’s Hill City Tours and Taxi, to see if it was possible to get a driving tour of the Needles Highway. It was a wonderful drive the other day even in the rain, but we thought that since we were here and don’t know when or if ever we will be back it would be nice to see that area in bright sunshine. As luck would have it, we got Ken himself (the owner of the company) on the phone and he said that he had a couple of hours open today. That sounded great to us, so we made an appointment for him to pick us up here at the campground at 11:00.

Ken was promptly on time at 11:00 and we were quickly on our way to another lovely trek along the Needles Highway. If you look back at the pictures from the other day you will recognize some of the same mountain rock formations in the pictures we took today—just with a little more sun on them! It was a perfect day for this drive. Ken did a fantastic job of showing us HIS Needles Highway. We thought that we had seen it all, but Ken kindly pointed out several things that we had not seen, the most important and impressive one being the Eye of the Needle. Who knew? Well, actually Ken knew but we didn’t! We also had not seen the lobby of the Sylvan Lake Resort and he insisted that we needed to do so—he was correct. It is a wonderful oasis of peace and beauty. The cushy leather chairs and couches just begged to be fallen into with a good book. Unfortunately, our tour was coming to an end and we had to jump in Ken’s waiting car and head back to camp. Before driving back into the campground Ken took us for a drive down the Main Street of town. He pointed out the local schools to us which lie right along that main drag. He said that the high school was the only one in the country that can use Smokey Bear for their school mascot, and they are the only high school in the country that can hold their high school graduation at Mount Rushmore!

We have had a quiet afternoon reading and resting. We might walk into town later, and if anything exciting happens, I will report on it tomorrow. Until then, enjoy an earlier posting than usual!

We drove 0 miles but were driven by Ken approximately 40 miles?


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Last Tunnel on Needles HighwayLast Tunnel on Needles Highway
Last Tunnel on Needles Highway

This is for you, Kelly!


3rd July 2018
Last Tunnel on Needles Highway

You can't make this stuff up!
Very impressive. I don't think I could imagine it, but I guess seeing is believing.
3rd July 2018

Needles!
What great sights you are seeing. I am so jealous of the school that gets to use Smoky the Bear, he is a love of mine. I'm so glad you got to see everything once again in the brighter sunshine. Sounds like you are having a great trip!
4th July 2018

Another fantastic adventure!!! Thanks for sharing!
4th July 2018

Spectacular Pics
Great pics. Thx for sharing. Love that area.
7th July 2018

I love the tunnels! Looks amazing :)

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb