Day 1 Arrival at Mt Rushmore KOA Resort


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We drove across the State of South Dakota to Mt Rushmore. The flat plains have given way to pine covered hills. The area is referred to the Black Hills due to the dark colour of the granite. Arrived at the KOA Campsite and after setting up the trailer headed to the town of Hill City about 10 minutes away,. This is a historic one street town. We found a saloon and had a local craft beer. We did not have to check our pistols at the door.



Our campground is located 10 mins from Mt Rushmore in the middle of the Black Hills area. The campground is very large – over 600 campsites, over 50 cabins and a lodge. They hold a Rodeo in the park every few weeks but unfortunately we missed it. Our campsite is directly across from the rodeo ring. We were happy to learn that there are no mosquitos or black flies in this area.





They have a lot to offer at this campground. They have a stable with horses that you can ride along the trails adjacent to the campground. Zoe would love it. In the evening they have a three man band singing old cowboy tunes. The campsite has a Fun Zone for kids with everything you could possibly imagine – waterslide, two pools, splash zone, rock climbing, panning for gems, jumping pillow, and much more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb