Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We started off the day with horseback riding at the Rafter J Ranch (thanks again to the Grimes for recommending this campground...it is great!). Emma, Rachel and I went...they didn't have enough horses for Shawn to go so he stayed back. Rachel didn't want to wear a helmet because it would mess up her hair. However, I kept having visions of Christopher Reeve, so I made her wear it. It was a nice way to see part of the National Forrest and we enjoyed it.

After horseback riding, we headed to Mt. Rushmore. It was very impressive. We took the walking tour, which gave us lots of different views of the monument. It also included the sculptor's workshop, with a presentation from a ranger about how the work was completed. Emma voluntered to demonstrate how they measured from the model of the Mt. Rushmore to the full scale version, pretty neat stuff. It was really amazing to hear the details about the dynamite, the jackhammers, and the people who did the work. It was very cool to see in person a monument that you've seen so many times in pictures.

After Mt. Rushmore, we went to Crazy Horse. They've been working on it for 60 years, and only the head is done. In my opinion, it was a cheesy tourist trap, but the rest of the family (mainly Emma) liked it. Here are her comments:

Emma: It's bigger than Mt. Rushmore, so I liked it. Mt. Rushmore could fit in Crazy Horse's head. I think mom didn't like it because it wasn't finished and she couldn't get the full look. I thought it was cool to see a sculpture in the making and a tribute to a great Native American Indian.

We got back to the campsite and got a little sad that this is our last official night of vacaction. We decided to make dinner over the campfire...hot dogs and pie-iron sandwiches. Right now, Shawn is giving Rachel knife-opening lessons, so hopefully I won't be updating the blog from the ER later tonight. The plan is to get up early and drive to Des Moines, IA. On Saturday, we'll drive the rest of the way home (with a stop at the University of Iowa so Shawn can buy a wrestling tshirt). It's been an incredible trip, but I think we're all ready to get home.

We had another "it's a small world" moment at our campsite. Our campsite neighbors were from Ohio, and after we talked to them, we discovered that their kids had gone to high school with one of our good friends from BGSU, Laura Graber.

We've really enjoyed the comments that you've sent to us! Thanks for thinking of us on our journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



1st August 2008

Enjoyed It
I got in on the blog a little late but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and looking at your pictures. I am pretty much a "beach vacation" person but after reading your blog and following along, I am now excited to take a trip like this myself. (Minus the transmission problems). Have a safe trip home. We miss seeing you guys.
1st August 2008

Happy 16th!! Have a safe trip back home! Please don't have anymore "intense moments"!!!!
1st August 2008

Thanks for the trip!
We sure enjoyed the vacation, and share the feelings of "homeward bound". It is great to get away and enjoy special times as a family, but what a great feeling also to be "going home". Thanks for the ride.
3rd August 2008

What a trip!
Starkeys Looks like you have had a wonderful vacation! We have thoroughly enjoyed your blogs! Thanks for allowing us to travel with you! Can't wait to swap stories when you get home! Then Dunns

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb