Presidential Fireworks


Advertisement
Published: January 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

And now for the final installment of our Mother/Daughter Summer 2006 Trip. If you ever want to see the July 4th firework show at Mount Rushmore you must be willing to spend a long time waiting. While we were waiting we enjoyed listening to several wonderful music groups. One of our favorites was a Native American Band named Brulee. We also spent time enjoying the museum and film about the building of Mount Rushmore. We arrived at 9 am and left the park around midnight.The fireworks were spectacular, really worth the wait...it was the highlight of our whole trip!!


The next day we visited Bear Country USA, a drive-thru wildlife sanctuary. There were many animals native to the area including wolves, buffalo, elk and of course lots of bear. After driving through the park we enjoyed walking through an area to see some of the smaller creatures and the very cute baby bears.

We spent one day hiking in the beautiful Black Hills. It was a clear, cool day and the surrounding scenery was breathtaking. The trails took us past waterfalls and mountain streams...it's the place where the Kevin Costner movie, Dances with Wolves was filmed.

The Custer State Park was another favorite location we enjoyed. We took the "wildlife loop" drive and saw many elk and buffalo along the way. Nearby we stopped to see "Crazy Horse" which is still being craved in the huge mountain. It will be much larger than Mount Rushmore once it's finished. We visited the museum and the film is very interesting. The lazer-light show was very patriotic and Mom loved it.

By the end of our Mother/Daughter Summer trip we had put 5000 miles on our rental van, loved visiting with our family and friends, seen lots of America's beautiful countryside and continued the family travel "bonding".


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Not so big and bad!Not so big and bad!
Not so big and bad!

We saw this wolf at Bear Country USA.
Mother Daughter Nature WalkMother Daughter Nature Walk
Mother Daughter Nature Walk

We went hiking in the beautiful Black Hills.


13th April 2007

Laura Ingalls to Mt.Rushmore
Started by looking for Laura Ingalls for my 8yr old grandson and found the Bonds! What a wonderful blog! Ending up with Mt. Rushmore was an unexpected treat! It's on my list of places to go. Where are you going next? Keep us armchair travelers informed! P.S. Come to the Northeast if you haven't been here yet!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb