South Dakota


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Badlands
September 8th 2015
Published: September 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

On our way to Rapid City, stopped by the Corn Palace (a palace made of corn), it was a necessary drive-by. Not much in SD as I can see but corn! Bob is having fun driving the 80 MPH speed limit, with some "peddle to the metal" moments. We had a beautiful day to drive through the Badlands, and to see Mt. Rushmore. There were acres and acres of sunflowers. Their heads were drooping from the weight, but I managed to get a pix from the car. In addition to the corn and sunflower fields the billboards for Wall Drugs were everywhere, so of course, we had to stop to see the scene. It's a drug store that's grown to a "buy everything" store, cowboy boots (pretty good ones) and lots of tourist stuff and an old fashioned ice cream parlour counter, which was great after the Badlands. Mt. Rushmore was fun to see, and another stamp in my National Park book! We finished off the evening at the Firehouse and Bob ran into folks from Kirksville, MO, where he graduated from high school and I ran into two people from Mississippi and who were MS State alums! Small world here in South Dakota.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sunflowers!Sunflowers!
Sunflowers!

Acres and acres


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb