Hunting Island Beach and Lighthouse, Beaufort, SC


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The historic Hunting Island lighthouse was originally constructed in 1859 and is the only lighthouse in the state of South Carolina that is open to the public. From the top platform, for those who are adventurous enough to climb the 167 step spiral staircase, one truly can get a birds eye view of the Atlantic Ocean, the park and surrounding marshes from about 132 feet above the ground.

Lighthouse Fees & Hours

The park collects a $2.00 fee to climb the 167 steps in the lighthouse, but the view is definitely worth it. Admission is from 10:00 am - 4:45 pm daily March - October, and until 3:45 pm November - February. During inclement weather, it may be closed.

Lighthouse History & Features

The first lighthouse was destroyed by the confederates during the beginning of the Civil War to prevent the Union from using it as a means of navigation. It was rebuilt and placed back into service in 1875. The purpose of this lighthouse was to warn ships to stay far away, as there are many hazards such as sandbars, wrecks, surf and treacherous currents. It was deactivated in June of 1933.

A unique feature of this lighthouse is that it was constructed using cast iron plates and designed to be dismantled in case it ever needed to be relocated. As fate would have it, due to erosion of the beach in 1889, the lighthouse was moved inland 1 1/4 miles from its original site to where it presently stands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb