Spring Time Travel, Pt. 2


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Olsen LadiesOlsen LadiesOlsen Ladies

Lynn (back to camera), Trish and Linda sitting on the porch catching up. Rob and Linda drove down from near Scranton, PA to visit and spend time. It was great to see the whole clan together.
We left for Delaware early the next morning and drove the car to see our niece in her new retirement community. It was a pleasant drive across the Potomac near Dalhgren and then north on 301 to Annapolis. We drove through delightful farmland to just south of Dover and found Lynn in her beautiful retirement bungalow. As always, it was tastefully and artfully decorated and she explained that rather than 3 bedrooms, she had the builder eliminate one of them in favor of a larger dining/living area. Great idea! The patio had been enclosed and made into a screened in porch usable easily in 3 seasons. Nephew Rob and his wife Linda arrived with daughter Erika and we had a rollicking good family reunion and dinner. The laughter and stories reminded us of brother Jack who had passed away a couple of years ago in NJ.

Next day we drove to Dover AFB and toured the Military Air Transportation Command Museum. WOW! Saw a B-17 up close, climbed into a C-47 (DC-3) that actually dropped paratroopers over Normandy, and then looked at the wide assortment of other craft, including the retired Air Force 2 used for the Vice President and
Inside C-47Inside C-47Inside C-47

This plane actually dropped troops on D-Day and survived the war. It is incredible to realize that 16-18 brave, very young men jumped from this plane behind enemy lines and proved vital in eventually liberating the world. No wonder they are called the Greatest Generation!
First Lady in the past. That evening we drove into Dover and drove around the state capitol. What a lovely town. They have kept it small, historic and lots of green spaces. This is one of the finest state capitols we have seen.

After an all too short visit, we left on Friday and early enough to avoid any serious encounters with DC traffic heading out for the weekend. We got back to the campground and put the slides on the RV back out (having pulled them in for safety and security while we were gone.) POP!! Oh, oh. Something wrong with the living room slide. It wouldn't go out and wouldn't come in. I checked with the camp office and they recommended a mechanic they used who made "house calls". Yep, he'd come the next morning. It was OK to use, but we hoped we didn't have a big rain. Sure enough, next day he arrived and after crawling under, showed me how the safety bolt had sheared under pressure (like it is supposed to.) He then showed me how to adjust the slide and align it by hand before putting in a new pin and then putting
In a C-147In a C-147In a C-147

This workhorse for the military is used for cargo hauls and also to drop troops. Compare the space in here with the cramped space on the C-147. MANY more troops can be dropped from this aircraft.
the slide in and out several times. All is well and now I know what to do if it happens again. (And it only cost me 2.5 hours of labor. That's a half hour of work and an hour to get to me and an hour back. Yikes.)

We had one final day with Kim, Kris and Autumn and then early Sunday AM we drove to NC to see friends Kurt and Annette, who had recently retired near Fort Bragg. It was an easy drive down and Kurt and Annette had found a retirement home well off the road with woods, yard and a large concrete driveway pad that fit two RVs. So we pulled up, leveled and put out the slides. Kurt provided an extension and we hooked up to the house current; not enough to run the A/C, but it wasn't that hot or humid. They found a lovely house with a big fenced back yard, good size kitchen with eat-in area, dining and living room and 3 bedrooms--master, man-cave, and Annette's room. We caught up on their retirement and shared stories. Next day was more "girl talk" for Trish and Annette and that evening we had
Dover, DelawareDover, DelawareDover, Delaware

This beautiful capitol is at one end of a large green, surrounded by building dating back to the 1800's and earlier. All are preserved and well kept. A real feeling of calm and serenity enveloped you as you stood and looked at the history around you.
steak on stone. Annette put a large flat stone (like a carving board) in the oven and super heated it. Then we put our small steaks (like filet mignon) on the stone and let it cook. Reminded us of some Korean cooking we had done. Made the steaks very tender and nice.

Next day they showed us around the area and though they live in the country, they don't have to drive far to get to good shopping or services. Kurt wanted to show us a great barbecue spot and we went and enjoyed micro-brew, and several different kinds of barbecue. Lots of food and we were well satisfied. Kurt was still recovering from some serious bruising and cracked ribs, having fallen while starting to prep their RV for a shakedown cruise earlier in the year and as a result, they haven't had it out. The original plan was we we take both RVs and camp together, but that obviously didn't work out. Hopefully we'll get a chance to do it later in the summer or fall. Maybe we'll even get them to Alabama.

Wednesday morning we left early to drive to Parris Island, SC where I had
Annette (with Sally) and usAnnette (with Sally) and usAnnette (with Sally) and us

Kurt and Annette are rightfully pleased and proud of their new home. Sally, who has always had a small yard or been on a leash, is trimmed down because she now has a large fenced in yard to run and play in.
reservations for several nights at the Marine Corps campground at the Recruit Depot. We had stayed there before and were looking forward to a pleasant, quiet time at the campground while visiting friends who live on Hilton Head, SC. After driving around Fayetteville, NC, we got on I-95 and relaxed for the 5 hour trip. We haven't driven this part of the road in over 5 years, so it was nice to see some familiar places (like South of the Border) again. BTW--if you have traveled this route and passed it by, recommend you stop and spend a little time. It is a landmark and has some neat "kitsch" and the food is decent.

We got to the USMC base and to the campsite, but then discovered we had NOT been provided the code to get into the bathhouse. After setting up, I spent over an hour on the phone and driving around base looking for someone who could help. Finally found a wonderful Asst. Manager in the exchange who spent time on the phone and eventually got the Recreation Director and got the code. That was WAY above and beyond. Left a compliment for her on the automated
Lunch with GinnyLunch with GinnyLunch with Ginny

Ginny looks like she did at our wedding 44 years ago. Her laugh is the same and she has that same warm smile. She was like a big sister to Trish growing up and walked her to school in elementary grades. It was a delight to get to spend time with her.
comment card system. The next day we had lunch with Ginny Stupar in Hilton Head. Ginny was Matron of Honor at our wedding 44 years ago and we had only seen her a few times since. She used to live next door to Trish and was like her big sister, she and her sister, MaryAnn, walking Trish to school, playing with her and being best of friends. We met at a local seafood restaurant and over food, ice tea and wine, talked for about 2 1/2 hours. It was really great to catch up and now that we know she is on Hilton Head, we have several friends to see in the area.

Friday we relaxed and napped. In the evening, we drove back to Hilton Head to see Nancy Lease Williams, a friend of mine from high school. Nancy and I have kept in touch since then and visited several times over the years. This time Nancy's younger sister, Liz, joined us for dinner. I had not seen Liz since the mid 60's and it was a pleasure to catch up with her as well and learn she now lives in the Hilton Head area. Nancy's husband, Burrell,
Nancy (on left) and her sister LizNancy (on left) and her sister LizNancy (on left) and her sister Liz

Nancy and I were best friends in high school and have stayed in touch over the years. I had not seen her sister since the mid-60s and was pleased to get to spend time with her as well. Burrell (Nancy's husband) was the master chef for the meal and constantly busy in the kitchen with a mouth watering offering of veggies, potatoes and tenderloin. Hopefully we'll get them to come visit in AL.
retired as the golf pro at one of the courses on Hilton Head and is not sitting idle. He has taken up cooking and fixed a fabulous dinner for us and joined in the conversation. Burrell is a fascinating guy and we enjoy chatting with him as well. All too soon we had to pack up and head back to the campground. It's about 40 minutes from the campsite to Hilton Head, much of it through the lowland swamps and small towns.

Saturday we determined we could make it all the way home. It WAS Memorial Day weekend and we figured trying to get a campsite might be difficult. So we left early and went south on 95 to Savannah and then north-west on 16 to Macon. It was new roads for us and not heavily traveled. All was well until we got near Atlanta. Of COURSE there was an accident on I-75. I heard about it on the radio in time and cut west on state and county roads, by-passing the accident (it was a bad one with a medivac copter called in and folks creeping by on the berm) and we still got home that evening.

It was a good trip north to see family and friends. Now we could get ready for our son and grandsons to come visit in a couple of weeks. That meant a lot of mowing, cleaning, straightening and food planning. But it was all going to be fun to have the boys here for almost a week.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb