Kiawah Island, Rest and relaxation at last


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Where do weary travelers go for rest and relaxation? Kiawah Island, South Carolina. For a few days in May, Alan and I are resting our itchy travel feet - no excursions, museums, cultural events or ports in exotic locations - just time on an island with a wide, sandy beach that’s perfect for taking long walks.

This is Alan’s first time at an East Coast beach. Although he misses the lively wave action of the Pacific coast, he’s loving long walks on the hard-packed sand. I’m happy that Kiawah is still the understated, quiet retreat filled with nature that I remember. One morning, we watched an alligator glide soundlessly on a pond while we sipped our coffee.

Besides taking walks and dodging alligators, we’re riding bikes on paths that wind through oak alleys to boardwalks that cross sand dunes to the beach. The paths are mostly flat and offer a peaceful way to tour the island.

The weather is sunny and mild but the Atlantic Ocean is a bit too cold for me, although I’ve seen others swimming. The beached jellyfish we keep seeing on our walks are enough to keep me from the water. But, I remember the joys of surfing these gentle waves.

This time of year, families with infants and toddlers join us on the beach as well as fellow baby boomers. But, by late afternoon, the beach and sunset belong mainly to Alan and me. Sitting in our beach chairs, we sip wine and watch the sunset. Ah, rest and relaxation at last.

Are you looking for my blog about baby boomer travel? Visit myitchytravelfeet .



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



26th May 2008

Great photos
Donna, Looks like a great time in SC.

Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 28; qc: 151; dbt: 0.1807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb