Finally made to the Carolina's!


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hey y'all! We arrived in Hilton Head, SC on Saturday the 31st. We stayed at Hilton Head Harbor Resort and Marina. It was rated a top 10 resort in the Trailer Life Directory and was also Big Rig friendly. It was a very nice park but with a 45' rig it was a little tight in places but we managed. It is an "owner site" park, which means that the sites are actually owned by individuals and so each site is different. They gave us a golf cart to drive around and pick out the site that we wanted. There were a lot of trees in this park so we picked one out that we thought would work for our satellite. It was a little warm after setting up so we turned on 3 of our air conditioners and after about 20 minutes the power went out. Don went out and flipped the breaker but after 10 minutes it did it again. I called the office and they sent someone over who looked at it and did something to get it to work and said he would come by and check in about an hour to see how we were doing. Well after about 45 minutes the power went off again and the box was hot. I told Don to just forget it and called the people, who by this time had closed the office, but thank goodness they answered after hours. They were very apologetic and they told us to move to another site and then call them back to let them know where we went. They really were thinking it was our Coach but we knew better. After trying one other spot that didn't work because we couldn't get satellite we finally got lucky on the third try. Now mind you, we are both sweaty, tired, and I am hoping that my dinner which I had started to cook isn't spread out all over the kitchen as I am in the truck following him around! I can laugh about it now but we weren't laughing then. As luck would have it, we got to park next to a wonderful young couple from Rhode Island whom we got to know very well while we were there. This is their first motorhome and they have sold their home and are giving this lifestyle a try. They bought the lot that they are on and her dad owns the lot that we stayed on. Hopefully they will travel some and we can hook-up if they ever travel to the middle of the state or even the West Coast.

Hilton Head really didn't have much to see or do unless you are into shopping or golf. There seriously is a golf course at every block. It is insane. The area is beautiful but I guess we are spoiled with places like Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara, and even the Central Coast for that matter at our disposal.

With Savannah only about 30 miles away we traveled to the city from here. Savannah wasn't what I expected. I was thinking there would be more to see there also but it really is mostly souvenir shops and restaurants. It is a pretty downtown area but once you have eaten, unless you want to buy some t-shirts and crappy "Georgia on my Mind" stuff that you will sell in a yard sale soon, you pretty much are done with Savannah. Maybe we should have done one of the trolley tours but I just didn't feel like doing the touristy thing. That said, we probably didn't give it all it was due. We did go to Paula Deen's Lady & Son's restaurant. It was soooooo good. We decided to go for lunch which was a good call because we ate so much we were sick! We had the buffet because we wanted the fried chicken and that is the only way you can get it. Seriously, everything is so fattening but who the heck cares! I could have eaten a whole plate of the fried chicken skin! The macaroni and cheese was the closest to my homemade that I have ever had at a restaurant. We both only ate once that day because we never got hungry. Amazing!

We are staying in a nice RV park here in Charleston and have lined up a lot of things to do while we are here. Karlie is all set to go to daycare for a couple of days too. These next few days should be fun.

There is a miss-mash of pictures as I put together the ones we took at the Florida rest area & Savannah. Hope all is well with everyone! Enjoy! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb