Charleston, South Carolina


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Carolina » Charleston
September 16th 2016
Published: October 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

My first stop in Charleston was Drayton Hall. Drayton Hall was built by John Drayton in the mid 1700’s using slave labor. It was the first example of Palladian architecture in North America and was located on the Ashley River about 15 miles from Charleston. It was the only plantation house on the Ashley River to survive intact through both the Revolutionary and Civil War. The plantation was based on indigo and rice production. Seven generations of Drayton heirs preserved the house in almost its original condition. The height markings for many of the heirs are still visible in one of the rooms.

Next I took a city and harbor tour of Charleston. It was very hot and humid, heat index of 103 so it was good to be in the air conditioned bus. The tour took us past the Citadel Military School which was impressive. We also saw lots of homes built in the traditional Charleston design with the side porches. There are large beautiful homes along what is called The Battery. Charleston is a beautiful city with many historical homes since General Sherman did not burn the city during the Civil War. On the harbor tour the view of the city from the water was amazing. We also got to see the USS Yorktown an aircraft carrier and USS Laffey a destroyer which are docked at Patriots Point. Patriots Point is at the mouth of the Cooper River across from Charleston. I thought it would be cooler on the water, but the boat did not move very fast and there was no breeze so I was extremely glad to get back in the air conditioned bus after walking a couple of blocks from the dock.

There were many more interesting places to visit in Charleston, but the weather made it impossible for me. We next headed back to North Carolina.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb