Mooching in Newport


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Found a lovely campsite on Newport, Rhode Island where we spent last night and tonight. It's very peaceful and green, apart from the flies which are black. Apparently one should expect flies when one goes camping and if one doesn't like them then why did one want to go on a camping holiday? I don't know.... We decided to spend the day in Newport town, which turned into a bit of a saga. The first plan was to get a taxi there and back to save moving the RV, but there were none available. At all. So we explored the bus option which would have been ok only the next bus was in seven minutes and the bus stop was a mile away and the next bus after that was in an hour, maybe.... So we drove. Spencer was fabulous again, navigating the busy town centre and parallel parking the beast as if he'd been trucking all his life. Newport is charming. Streets of 18th century weatherboarded houses and beautiful old churches as well as a marina and high street full of upmarket souvenir toot shops. We wandered around, stopping for coffee and generally having a good old mooch. In the afternoon we parked at the beach and did the cliff walk along the coast which is lined with mansions built as holiday homes by the mega rich 19th century industrialists. Quite incredible. After much deliberation, Spencer decided to take the big SLR camera so as to get the best of the views from the cliffs across the bay. Unfortunately he did NOT decide to take a memory card to go in the SLR, so no photos today. Tomorrow we move on to Cape Cod....

Advertisement



13th May 2015

Another year wiser
Happy Birthday Sarah. Hope you have a lovely day roaming the wilderness of the U.S. Not a bad way to spend your birthday, hopefully Spencer has found the RV's kitchen and has rustled you up a cake. Nick & Ben

Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb