Newport Rhode Island


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Good Morning all!! Hope everyone had a good weekend.... Sally and I decided last Friday to take a drive over to Newport Rhode Island for the day. It's a little over an hours drive from Norwich Connecticut. We have been here in Connecticut for almost 3 weeks now and decided that it was time to go exploring. About 5 miles out of Newport we noticed that there was quite a bit of traffic heading in the same direction as us. When we arrived in Newport we found that is was the weekend of the tall ship festival in Newport which explained all the traffic. It took us over an hour to find a parking spot. Numerous large Schooners were in port as well as quite a few luxury yachts. Newport Rhode Island is also known for it's large number of mansions. Sally and I toured Marble House which was built in 1892 and was the home of the Vanderbilts. Marble House contains over 500,000 cubic feet of marble. Lots of gold leaf panels in almost every room on the first floor. There are approximately 52 rooms in Marble House. We also wanted to tour another mansion buit by the Vanderbilts, called 'The Breakers' but it was too late in the day to start the tour. Will save that for another visit sometime this month or next. Had a great day despite the crowds!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Breakers The Breakers
The Breakers

Built in 1895 and home of the Vanderbilt family
Lunch !!Lunch !!
Lunch !!

All of these lobsters are 2 lbs and over


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb