If You Visit Bristol, Rhode Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Rhode Island » Bristol
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We think that by far the best place to stay in Bristol is at a mooring from Bristol Marine.

The Herreschoff Museum is in the South-end of Bristol. They too offer moorings, but their moorings are quite exposed to the South West. We stayed on a mooring there just once and had quite a hair-raising dinghy trip back to our boat. I think there is a “recommended anchorage” near Hog Island but this too looks very exposed and we have never used it. If you want to anchor, Potter Cove is less than two miles across the sound.

The Herreschoff Museum is well worth visiting.

The town center is quite small and is delightful. There is a good selection of restaurants and the town is so compact that you can walk round a dozen restaurants in half an hour and choose the one that takes your fancy.

The only thing within easy walking distance of Bristol Marine’s own dock is Colt State Park, in the North of Popasquash Neck. This is a great place for a walk or bike ride, with expansive views across Narragansett Bay.

We have not found a supermarket near the center of Bristol. All supermarkets and shopping centers seem to be a mile or two North of town on Route 114. So we buy our provisions in other ports.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb