Wilbur Chocolate, High Point Memorial, Ft. Knox, Penobscot Narrows Bridge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Lancaster
January 26th 2014
Published: January 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This is the last blog from Bob's and my fall trip in '13.

When we were visiting Bob's two sisters in Pennsylvania last fall, we visited the Wilbur Chocolate store in Lititz where one of his sisters lives. We've gone there over many years and bought many pounds of chocolate. As you can see from one of the first photos, Wilbur's was established in 1848 and it's still doing a brisk business. We especially like the semi-sweet buds.

High Point Memorial in NJ, built in 1930 to honor the war dead, provides a view of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

Ft. Knox (not THE Ft. Knox) is located right near the Penobscot Bridge. From the internet: "Located on the west bank of the Penobscot River in Prospect, Maine, in an area known as the Penobscot Narrows, Fort Knox is one of the best preserved fortifications on the New England seacoast."

Penobscot Narrows Bridge observatory is the tallest public bridge observatory in the world. As you might expect, the view is spectacular.

And who would think that a half year later we would be looking to buy a log cabin in Penobscot! We're leaving in three
Wilber's ChocolateWilber's ChocolateWilber's Chocolate

The date of the beginning and "chocolate sponge." Wonder what that was?
days to fly to Maine and then spend a week meeting the owners (who built the house 10 years ago) and looking over the house and area. We're excited!

So, as Daffy Duck would say, "Th . .th . . that's all, Folks!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Wilber's ChocolateWilber's Chocolate
Wilber's Chocolate

the old store scene


27th January 2014

I have an ABQ friend who was in the navy in cryptology or such who had a huge black lab. All the guys dared her to give it a weird name. She chose Dumpster, but added Penobscot, because she was overlooking the river; hence Dumpster Penobscot.
27th January 2014

Hello
Very interesting. How exciting. Have a wonderful trip. Love, Joan

Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb