Day 6 Niagara Falls to Hanover


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Hanover
October 16th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday 15th October
Niagara Falls to Hanover.... Gettysburg

Today was our earliest start. This was so we could get to the border before any other tour buses did. Apparently you can wait for hours at the US border going through immigration, fortunately our experience was a nice quick one, Henk our tour guide knows his stuff because as we left there were 7 buses behind us.

Our first stop today was at a "small" roadhouse. Well Sam said it was small. Well I think that any roadhouse that you hear over the loudspeaker "driver 2734, shower 18 is ready" is not really that small. This stop had a shop that sold everything from your normal goods, to tv's and even wrangler jeans. I do have to say though, it was the Worst ever iced coffee, I doubt that I will ever taste anything more vile, I would hate to have seen the screwed up face I pulled as I tried to swallow that first gulp. Needless to say it was binned very quickly.

Our journey today was to take us back in time, the battlefields of Gettysburg where probably the most pivotal area of the American Civil War took place.  Driving through this historical town was another nice moment. If you live here your house has to keep in synch with the time period.  

We visited the actual battlefields which are open fields and rocky outcrops, there are houses but very few and again in period style. There are over 1300 monuments scattered over the area we stopped at areas that were pivotal of the  battle. The sun was setting and we took a vantage point of a place called Little Round Top. A great setting for photos.

Henk took us to a buffet that had about 150 school kids in there, we were dreading this, but it worked out well. During our travels we have come across some strange food, I guess it's just weird to us, but tonight convinced me others were having more troubles than us. For starters we have worked out that the Americans love cheese, when you ask for cheese on a hotdog you are given 5 choices and it comes on it melted. But anyway there was a soup bar at the buffet with bread rolls. One of the ladies come back with a bowl of melted cheese thinking it was pumpkin soup. OMG, what a trooper, she ploughed through it. I wonder what she was thinking? Probably the same as the lady that mistook cornbread and the same melted cheese for pudding and custard. And to top it off her husband had a nice dessert placing whipped butter instead of cream on it. 

We drove a short distance to Hanover. Our accommodation was at the Hampton Inn in Hanover.  A smallish hotel, but the people were so welcoming. We had to pay for our optional tours tonight and at around 1130pm we were in bed. Carmel and Irena did a load of washing whilst waiting to pay. 
     

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb