Trip to Oregon 2015


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
August 1st 2015
Published: July 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 Aug 1st Saturday

We drove down to Atlanta with Dan and Shawna who dropped us off for our flight. The flight was good. They had entertainment and I was able to sleep a little. It was a direct flight from Atlanta to Portland, and even though it was 5 hours it went by fast. I like flying Delta.

Day 2 Aug 2nd Sunday

We stayed the night in a Ramada Inn. It was subpar, but at least the bed was comfortable.

We started the day at the Japanese Gardens. They were really nice with the greatest smell. We found "our" tree and I took lots of pictures. One highlight was a display of some debris that floated in from the Japanese tsunami. It was from a temple, it was very interesting.

After that we met up with Jodie and Nicole for lunch. We ate at a Jewish deli, very yummy. We had a nice visit then headed to Multnomah Falls.

There was a long line of traffic to get into the falls and we considered just abandoning the adventure. But we stood it out and it was quite beautiful!

We then headed toward Seaside. It is a family vacation town with arcades and rides everywhere. It was really crowded. It reminded me of what I imagine Coney Island to be like.

We ate dinner at a restaurant called Doogers. After a 20 minute wait we had a nice meal. We were so tired after dinner that we went back to our room at the Comfort Inn. A nice room with a comfortable bed.

We went down later to a nearby beach to watch a beautiful sunset. There were quite a few people spotted along the vast beach. Many had campfires lit. It was a lovely scene. After that we returned to the hotel to soak in the Jacuzzi and then headed off to sleep.

Day 3 Aug 3rd Monday

We ate breakfast in our room at the hotel then headed down to Cannon Beach. We walked on the beach to Haystack rock. The area around Haystack was cordoned off due to nesting birds.

We then headed south toward Newport, stopping at Lincoln City along the way to eat lunch at Dairy Queen, before finishing the scenic ride to Newport.

At Newport we first headed off to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. It was fun, the highlights were a wolf eel, sharks and puffins. I liked the shipwreck exhibits as well.

After the aquarium, we checked into our hotel then went up to Agate beach where we walked across the dunes to the beach. It was chilly and really windy so we didn't stay long.

We went from there to eat at the Chowder Bowl, then watched the sunset on a beach near our hotel. We had cookies at the hotel, then turned in for the night.

Day 4 Aug 4th Tuesday

We ate breakfast at the hotel then headed South on highway 101. We stopped at the Devil's churn along the way, it was cool, but was still low tide so there was not a lot to see really.

We then headed to Haceta Head lighthouse. We hiked up to the lighthouse and even went on the guided tour. Then we hiked on up above the light and got a few good pictures. It was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for the lighthouse. Rob was a little disappointed that we could not walk up to the top of the lighthouse, but he still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Right after Haceta Head was the Sea lion Caves. We stopped at their gift shop so Rob could get some souvenirs. It was really windy.

After that we headed on down and enjoyed the scenic drive. We arrived in Crescent City right around 5pm and got our hotel on the beach. It is awesome, Crescent Beach hotel right on the water.

We took a short walk on our beach, then ate dinner at the Grotto. We then sat on the deck looking out at the ocean until time for bed.

Day 5 Aug 5th Wednesday

We woke up to the sound of waves and fog horn. The water was calm and so pretty. Rob had some oatmeal at the hotel, then we went to Harvest café where he ate light and I pigged out on an omelet.

We drove up to Brookings and met Doug and Brook at their campsite. We chatted a while then went and ate lunch at Wild River Pizza, the old Pizza Deli, the best pizza anywhere!

We went to Lone Ranch beach after lunch. It was sunny and calm and gorgeous!! We walked on the beach and just had a good time. Rob and I went on down to Slugs, Stones and Ice cream cones for ice cream cone and catnip slugs. They were out of the slugs though. 😞 But Copper will be getting a treat from Woofdog Bakery.

We drove back to the hotel where we frolicked on the beach and waded in the frigid water. We dried off and went to dinner at Denny's, then it was off to Endert's for the sunset. So pretty. It was extra special watching it with Rob. A really great day. Perfect.

I forgot to mention the morning drive down memory lane along Pebble Beach drive. And we had Dutch Bros while we watched the sunset.

Day 6 Aug 6th Thursday

We woke up again to the sound of waves and the smell of the sea. It was sunny and beautiful. We soaked in the view as long as we could till be had to leave. We ate again at good harvest then headed to the Redwoods.

We turned off on Walker trail that had only a few people and took a walk. It was breath taking. The sights. The peacefulness. The still quiet. It was a good way to start our day.

We drove the scenic 199 along the Smith River to Grants Pass. We arrived just in time to catch a ride on the quick and scenic Jet Boat ride. Our driver was great, pointing out the wildlife and of course getting us wet! We saw osprey, a bald eagle and a mink! And we got slung around and soaked which was nice because it was hot. It was a blast.

We left there and drove to Medford. It was socked in with forest fire smoke. We couldn't even see the mountains. We got our hotel and then met up with Doug and Brook for dinner at Sizzler. Nice visit and good food. 😊 An all together good day.

Day 7 Aug 7th Friday

We slept well at the Super 8 in Medford despite the smoke and met up with Chris, Carlie and Isaiah at the Black Bear diner in Grants Pass and had a very nice visit.

We headed on up to Portland from the diner. We stopped at Rice Hill along the way for Ice Cream. We also drove through the U of O campus. Home of the Ducks!

From there we battled traffic all the way to our hotel in Portland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb