Off the Pavement (or Where did all this Gravel Come From?)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
May 19th 2010
Published: May 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Searching For Wi-FiSearching For Wi-FiSearching For Wi-Fi

Good luck, you're in Frenchglen.
Sunday May 16: Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge

It’s remarkable what lowering tire pressures from 42 psi to 20/25 F/R will do to gravel road stability.
The 60 mile run from the Malheur Refuge to Hart Mountain was an excellent ride. These well traveled county roads were well maintained, recently graded, and the gravel compact with very little wash boarding. Cruising speeds of 40 mph were not uncomfortable in many stretches.

The Catlow Valley between these two refuges has the appearance of a broad flat plain with little relief in long sections. Steens mountain maintained a presence on the Eastern horizon as Hart Mountain grew ahead to the Southwest.

Antelope were few in number, a skittish as usual. Probably sighted only 20 thus far, including five that crossed the basin in camp. Later I learned that they are often bedded down in the sage brush at the time I rode through.

Arriving at the Hart Mountain Refuge headquarters, the buildings were built with blocks of lava. The visitor center was cozy and informal.

Five miles south is the Hot Springs campground. Pit toilets and fire rings. The setting is a high desert basin (6,000’) with traces of snow on the ridges around, creeks chocked with trees(?) and the creek high with runoff. Two hot springs are available, a bathwater temp pool protected by a stone wall and a warmer natural spring nearby.

Rolled in the campground around 2pm, set up camp, took a nice hike around the basin, and then napped in the tent. Nice.

On my walk I found a nice stash of downed wood for the fire, and combined it with a couple of rounds left behind in camp. The Woodsman’s Pal is great for whacking branches and slitting rounds, an essential piece of The Kit.

The evening fire and a lack of stars for gazing kept me in camp and skip the evening soak. Monday AM at 0530, however, found me in the pool for a warm wake-up. Very nice very vacation-like.

Overnight a good rain squall came through, windy and loud. The ground is wet this morning, so caution will be exercised.

Monday morning, the plan today is to head south through Plush and Adel, then into Nevada to camp at Virgin Valley Hot Springs. GPS says it’s 105 miles away, so there will be a topping off of fuel along the way. I searched for WI-Fi in Frenchglen and Hart Mt Refuge HQ, no luck yet. Maybe in Plush or Adel….
Yea, good luck!




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Steens Mt. Feeds the ReserveSteens Mt. Feeds the Reserve
Steens Mt. Feeds the Reserve

Steens Mt. catches the moisture passing east and feeds the Malheur. 10,000' ridge, with the Alvord desert in it's lee.
First AntelopeFirst Antelope
First Antelope

Few in number and skittish as usual.
Searching for Wi-Fi at Hart Mt. HQSearching for Wi-Fi at Hart Mt. HQ
Searching for Wi-Fi at Hart Mt. HQ

You have got to be kidding!
Hot Springs BasinHot Springs Basin
Hot Springs Basin

The stone enclosure is the main pool, campsite behind trees along creek to left.
FireFire
Fire

Found and gathered fuel, Woodsman's Pal, oh yea!
Tools of Haute CuisineTools of Haute Cuisine
Tools of Haute Cuisine

Can of food, long spoon for stirring, gloves and pliers for fire work.


19th May 2010

Mmmmmm
Everything tastes better cooked over an open fire. Bet that was some good chili!
20th May 2010

yeah, cowboy cookin'
i like that tincan camping cook method. beats the heck out of a recalicitrant coleman stove! but what is woodsman's pal?
20th May 2010

Woodsman's Pal
Originally issued to GIs in WW2 in the Pacific Theatre, it's basically an oversexed machete. Short, stout, fits nicely in pannier bag. Pictured by fire.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb