Oregon 2018. Yachats.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Yachats
September 8th 2018
Published: September 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Oregon 2018. Yachats. D10

Heading south out of town was a bit lumpy and twisty but was better than taking Highway 101 straight from our hotel. At Siletz Bay we crossed the Schooner River bridge and the site of the early indigenous settlement of the Yacona tribe as mentioned yesterday. Lots of wading birds were seen and many grey herons, as usual, along this coast. The day was less hilly than I had expected and the weather came out good when the mist lifted over the sea. The highlight of the morning was when we deviated off the 101 following the coast and we saw several grey whales. Firstly just seeing the spouting and then actually seeing them roll out of the water and their tails up in the air. What a beautiful sight. I managed to get a couple of shots on my Panasonic in Depoe Bay but sadly it cannot connect to this device. Lunch was had at Newport before crossing the picturesque Yaquina Bay bridge. Captain James Cook landed here in 1786 and following this Thomas Jefferson became interested in the region and lead partly to the despatch of Lewis and Clark on their exploration of the north west. It was very busy over the bridge so I rode along the elevated footpath to Ona Beach and Seal Rock. There was an old tractor by the roadside, which I think was a 1940’s Case. Oh! If only I could take one home for restoration. Waldport called for a coffee break so we pulled in at the Drive Through Coffee stop with 8 miles to go. These 8 miles seemed more like 10 miles along the boring 101 until we turned off to the Fireside Motel greeted by some smiling girls, coffee and a piece of lemon drizzle cake. No evening meals in house so a walk along the 101 into town for dinner tonight. Great meal at the Yachats Brewery and Farm Store with 30 beer taps available. The stout was very good. The girl on the desk said it should take 12 minutes to walk - more like 30 - I think she meant if you were driving as no one walks in the US. Now back in our room ready to be kept awake by the sea pounding the rocks outside. Some people always pick the short straw.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement


view from our room view from our room
view from our room

Fireside Motel. Yachats.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb