Welcome to Westfir


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Westfir
March 17th 2006
Published: March 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Office BridgeThe Office BridgeThe Office Bridge

It sits over the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River (really).
Tucked behind the hills of Highway 58 near Oakridge sits the tiny town of Westfir (population 276). Once a logging camp, the prominent feature of Westfir is the Office Covered Bridge. The bridge was built to connect a lumber mill on one side of the river with the company office, which sat on the other.

At 180 feet in length, the bridge is the longest covered bridge to remain in Oregon. One unique feature is the separate pedestrian walkway which flanks the still drivable vehicle roadway.

The town of Westifr, along with the accompanying logging company and bridge, were sold in 1977 to an investment company. Today, with the mill gone and the local economy struggling, the Westfir area is trying to capitalize on their beautiful location to promote outdoor recreation such as mountain biking, hiking, fly fishing, and camping.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



28th March 2006

that's lovely! were you there for work or just tooling around Oregon for fun?
30th March 2006

Awesome
Honest to Pete, I don't know how you find such out-of-the-way, gorgeous places! Westfir is a place I'd love to visit. Covered bridges are so elegant, and I'm happy this one is being maintained. Your pictures of the exterior and interior are superb, plus the historical background just adds flavor to the whole package. Keep up the good work!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb