July 25 - Leg 2: Sail Plan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » West Coast
July 25th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We're starting out this sail with a bit of a disappointment: Brother Dwight, from Arkansas, was leading us on for a bit that he might be joining us for this last leg. But his clients just need him too much. And they won't let us have him. Durn. But we're working on next year, when we can slap a patch behind his ear and get him out on the water.

Our sail plan on this leg is pretty simple, if not particularly relaxing. We'll leave Newport as soon as the weather settles, and sail to Neah Bay, Washington. It's a passage of about 250 miles and will take us about 40 hours, assuming we make good a speed of 6 knots. We'll be sailing between 25 and 50 miles off shore, well beyond the 50 fathom line, keeping us clear of the vast majority of crab pots.

After we arrive in Neah Bay (just inside the Strait of Juan de Fuca) we'll take a break to get some sleep and recharge a bit -- and get a little paddling time in the kayaks.

From Neah Bay we'll sail east about 40 miles down the strait to Crescent Bay, a little anchorage just outside of Port Angeles where we'll drop the hook and maybe put out the crab pot and see what crawls in.

From Crescent Bay it's another 40 miles into Port Townsend where we'll grab a slip at Point Hudson and spend an afternoon and evening in one of our favorite little towns.

We'll leave PT after the tide turns in our favor and sail the last 40 miles down to Poulsbo where we'll rent a car and head back to Eugene.

The long drive down I-5 is always the most terrifying part after we've spent days upon days hurtling along at only 6 knots, but a little risk adds some excitement to our oh-so-mundane lives.

H


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb