Tillamook


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Tillamook
September 24th 2009
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sept 20th 2009

While being encouraged by V liking travel, we are also trying to embrace the last few weekends where we may be having some sun. Added to that K was not “on-call”. Most importantly our friends from Chicago- Janani & Sudharshan were visiting. So we wanted to show them the glory and beauty of Oregon. Originally we had planned to go to the Silver Falls State Park . We skipped it because KK had taken them on too tough a trial through Mt. Hood the previous day. Added to that, our whole family was down with a runny nose and we did not think we would do justice to the place. This was something that we also thought of visiting during the long weekend but did not because of the bad weather. And we are glad we did not because we heard from friends that the waterfalls there barely have any water now so will have to wait for next Spring to do this (May- June), but back to this post. So we narrowed it to down to the Tillamook Cheese Factory and then hitting the beach at Cape Lookout State Park . This is along the Astoria coastal highway which is further north. We are so glad we did and had a lot of fun, not to mention V had a blast in the ocean.

The cheese factory is a little over an hour’s drive from where we live. I would not recommend coming just for this but it is a must see place if you are in the area, especially since the entry is free. “ Imagine the Krispy Kreme donut making process magnified three fold (but I found that more interesting)- that is what you see here” in the words of KK our tour guide who was visiting here for the 3rd time. So you see how cheese is made from milk, and cut and packaged and shipped. Only we went around lunch and all the employees were out at lunch so we only saw standstill machinery 😞 So take note to go there before 12 or maybe after 1. And then you come down for some free cheese samples which were not bad. I was surprised to find that the cheese for purchase there was more expensive than what we got at our local stores, did not make sense that! They had an ice cream parlor there with 38 flavors of ice-cream that was pretty inexpensive. So we tried a few flavors and picked up lunch at Subway and headed to the park/beach.

The park was barely 10 miles away from the factory and the drive was very scenic. There was water all along on one side as we drove towards the ocean. It was lovely weather and we could not have picked a better day. When we reached the picnic area, we were not disappointed at all. The nice part is you have picnic tables right on the oceanfront, so you eat your lunch as you watch the sea. There are barbecue grills also for those interested. I was very curious to see how V would react to the ocean and he was slowly letting the feeling sink in. I took him to the water before we ate just to see how he felt. And he absolutely loved it 😊 It was adorable to see him call to the water to come get him and he squealed in delight. The water was freezing cold, but this kid was apparently immune to it. After lunch we spent some good time holding him in the water and taking in the beauty of the place. It was very relaxing. We will definitely do it again anytime.



Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



7th October 2009

hey lovely write up...feels like i was also a part of the trip:) Beaches are the best of nature's creation...any day any time any number of hrs one can sit and admire the beauty of the water, sky, waves..its absolutely serene!!!
7th October 2009

I love the beach pics of you three :) Muaah.. misses.
7th October 2009

best ice cream I've ever tasted
Fav flavour: something like mudslide or something. Close only to Coldstone creamery's any flavour. Glad you guys had fun. And that looks like an REI backpack, is it? Enjoy traveling!
7th October 2009

@meena
is this meens or meenakshi from balalok? thanks whichever of you it was :)
7th October 2009

@anonymous
I think this is Akils..yes? we misses you too!
7th October 2009

@meera
yes it is a REI backpack. It was the most open one we found. I don't think V would sit if it was covered and we are not major hikers/trekkers so this will do I think.
8th October 2009

V likes water, unlike u :P I have heard quite a bit abt this Tillamook thingy...we should go again sometime.
8th October 2009

@mayur
will do again, no problemo.
8th October 2009

@mayur
will do again, no problemo.
8th October 2009

hey a,k and v super pics. lot of kalai kann. .wonderful job of taking pics. three guys jumping in air is picture perfect. also, PNW water is cold even in summer. can feel that in karthik and V's reaction. :-). karthi - unnoda clothes are very nice da. anu - nice write up and presentation as usual.
8th October 2009

forgot to put the name in prev comment. so this one.
8th October 2009

@santh
J.U.M.P was taken by Janani. And santh,rendu ladies irukkum bothu ne oru guy ode clothes pathi comment panirukke..you are asking for trouble!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb