A Cheesy Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Tillamook
July 8th 2007
Published: July 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We started today with a few prayers at the Sacred Heart Church, the local Catholic Church. We then headed to Tillamook Cheese Company for a tour and tasting. The cheese factory was not producing cheese, since it was Sunday, but we were able to see them packing the cheese and get to taste test some of their varieties. My favorite was the extra sharp cheddar. We also got ourselves some Tillamook Ice Cream, which was AWESOME! I had Udderly Chocolate Brown Cow in a waffle cone. It was choc ice cream with white chocolate swirls and choc chunks... After our dairy fix, we headed up the Oregon Coast to Twin Rocks. We skirted down a side street and got to a beach access path. At the end of the path, I saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time. We also got a great view of Twin Rocks. We walked on the beach for a little while and got to throw a ball for some local dogs. We then headed back to Route 101 North thru Rockaway Beach to Cannon Beach. We quickly found a parking spot, I grabbed my camera and we headed for the beach. Cannon Beach is known for it's famous Haystack Rock. This rock was huge and reminded me of the beach scenes from Goonies! The rock is very close to the tide level, and there are a large number of tide pools with anemonies, star fish, urchins, crab, and many other living organisms in them. I took some great photos of them. After walking on the beach for awhile, we headed for the town. Cannon Beach is an awesome little beach town. The town was bustling. We spent some time window shopping and exploring in the town. After a few hours we headed farther north to Astoria, Oregon. We climbed the famous Astoria Column and launched some little paper airplanes of the top (local tradition). We then continued up Route 101 North over the Oregon- Washington Bridge out of Astoria. Once we were back in Washington, we headed east to Castle Rock. Castle Rock is at the beginning of Route 504 to Mt. St. Helens (which we will visit tomorrow). We had dinner at 49'ers Restaurant, which is a local haunt here in Castle Rock. Chuck, our waiter, had a bit of trouble... I think it was either his first day on the job or he was the biggest ditz I have ever met. We had to remind him a couple of times that we needed our drinks and silverware... Chuck gave us a free piece of pie to make up for his mistakes. We then took a quick drive, and I mean quick, thru the town, which consisted of about 1 block. We stopped at the local grocery store and got some supplies, before heading back to our hotel for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



9th July 2007

good time
You and your mom look like you are really having a great time!!! I can't wait for all my thimbles from all these small towns!! LOL!
9th July 2007

ice cream
How did you eat the ice cream??? did you take a pill or does it not bother you anymore??? I'm jealous....I want some ice cream!!! LOL!!!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb