Work Days at Epic


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Tigard
June 9th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

New Zealand Sunset StormNew Zealand Sunset StormNew Zealand Sunset Storm

Something to Snatch the Imagination (by Don Ricardo)

Is it bad that i cannot listen to New Zealander accents without giggling? maybe this isnt the best place for me to go if i am going to be laughing when people try to talk to me.


Not much going on at work today. With the system down i am free to surf the net, check facebook look up porn etc. (They said that we are only NOT allowed on amazon, ebay and craigslist...so i am assuming that looking up porn is acceptible.) However here I am looking up New Zealand radio stations on the net, and maori pronuciation guides. A part of me wants so badly be prepared for going abroad. But i feel as if i were trying to expierence a place through looking at a picture. Simply put, a picture is no substitute for the sensations of a salty breeze, or digging your toes in the sand as the sun sinks into a waiting ocean. So pictures aside, I am assuming that New Zealand will not become real until I step off the plane.

Tid-bits I am gathering while waiting for work:


A proposal for a new tourist attraction in the northern island is -toad whacking. I guess the King Toad has become a bit of a problem and the mayor of a place called Darwin wants to make it an 'activity" for tourists to be taken out into the woods and whack toads. I am not so sure this is something I will be participating in while in New Zealand!

Something to Snatch the Imagination:



In traditional Maori culture the suns path across the sky symbolized the cycle of life. The rising of the sun is birth, and as day progresses the path of the sun symbolized the path we take from youth to elderly. When the sun sets, it is seen as the extinguishing of light, (also known as death.) Imagine if we viewed everyday as a constant reminder of the path we all must take from young to old? It would be hard not to become familiar with death as a companion of life. I cannot help but feel like the American culture has so much fear and awkwardness associated with death compared to the Maori culture. But perhaps I am all talk on this one?
Info: www.teara.govt.nz/en/te-ao-marama-the-natural-world/1

Since all I do at work is type; I am left alot with my thoughts :P
Shoot, the system just popped out some more postcards. Back to work.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb