A Short Trip to Stayton


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Stayton
February 9th 2006
Published: February 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wanting to lift my winter-weary spirits, I decided to explore the historic downtown area of Stayton at the first hint of the sun emerging from its grey, dreary cover.

This small town located only 15 miles east of Salem gained its name from one of its first settlers, Drury Stayton. Stayton built a sawmill along the North Santiam River in 1870, and helped to plat the downtown area, which was incorporated in 1891.

Stayton wanted to name the town Florence, in honor of his daughter, but was hindered from doing so because a town along the coast had already laid claim to that name. Instead, he bestowed the name upon one of the main streets. On Florence Street, I found a row of four tidy bungalows originally used as worker’s cottages due to their proximity to the mills once located on Water Street. The steady supply of water from the North Santiam River was a cheap way to generate energy, and the area soon became a hub for the town’s growing businesses.

As a novice history and architecture enthusiast, I set off on a walking tour of the notable buildings along Second and Third Avenues. I started at the Santiam Historical Society Museum at 260 N Second Avenue. The museum itself is housed in the building originally constructed as the Stayton Women’s Club in 1927. Beginning in March, it will open on Saturdays from 1-4 pm. You can view historical photographs and memorabilia of the local area before continuing a self-guided tour.

The historical society’s current project is the renovation of the Charles and Martha Brown House at 421 First Avenue. Once a stunning example of the Queen Anne style, the community is hoping once again to see this 1903 house return to its position as one of the most elegant residences in town.

No trip to Stayton would be complete without a walk across the Stayton-Jordan covered bridge at Pioneer Park. This replica replaces the original, which once spanned Thomas Creek in neighboring Scio, and burned in 1994. The wooded park is comprised of over 3 acres of walking paths with picnic areas and play equipment.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



18th February 2006

winter blues
so glad you ventured out and shared! what a nice story to aleviate some winter blues!
21st February 2006

Stayton
I've been to Stayton, but didn't know anything about it. The Florence fun fact is committed to trivial memory. The cover bridge is really nice.
21st February 2006

TravelBlogs
Kait-I just love your adventurous side. It is inspiring! I also enjoy reading about your journeys and experiencing a little bit of life through you. What a beautiful town. Thanks

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb