Edit Blog Post
Published: September 13th 2020
Opened the blinds this morning hoping that the visibility was better, but it was actually worse. We check the current road closures and found that Rt 101 was now open so we hit the road at 8:45, destination, Coos Bay. It didn't take long to realize that it was going to be another day of no scenery. The smoke was very thick and we could even smell it in the RV. After driving through it for a few hours and not seeing a thing, we began to wonder if it was worth staying on the coast highway. We stopped for lunch in Newport and Ray immediately started making calls. He found that all the roads to Crater Lake NP were closed and the campground was preparing for a possible evacuation. It then made no sense going all the way down to Coos Bay and decided to head East to Sisters, OR for the night. As we hit the city of Corvallis, the visibility from the smoke became even worse, less than 1/8th of a mile, and everything was covered with ash. So we now have another thing to check off of our bucket list. We've talked many times about flying cross
country to drive through a forest fire in an RV! The only things left now are drought, plague and pestilence!
After a long ride over one of Oregon's very scenic byways, seeing nothing, of course, we arrived at Sisters Creekside campground. It truly is one of the nicest parks we have been to, and the managers could not have been nicer. After setting up and having our much needed cocktails,, the boys treated us to another night out for dinner. The place came highly recommended for the RV park, and we were not disappointed. We will decide in the morning where we will head to tomorrow, but Crater Lake certainly looks like it will be out of the picture.
Tot: 2.979s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 16; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0206s; 2; m:saturn w:www (126.96.36.199); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.3mb