Edit Blog Post
Published: September 12th 2018
Oregon 2018. Oakridge
A tough day. Away at 8.30 and soon onto the cycle way taking us past Dorena Lake, which has a dam at the Cottage Grove end. We had a bit of a fright after 2 miles as there was a sign stating that the trail was closed. However, after conferring with a local guy who said it was open we carried on. Pleasant ride around the lake, which was quite low with water and had many herons looking for food. The town of Dorena was moved in the 1940’s to build the reservoir which also produces hydro electricity. There were quite a few old barns in the Dutch style with double pitched roof and several old 1940’s tractors dumped in backyards waiting for someone like me to restore them. We were truly in Hillbilly country with a few nice homes but many more people living in shacks, old caravans and old RV’s with vehicles and rubbish dumped around them. After Culver Creek at about 17 miles we started the slow climb and at 20 miles went out of habitation and into the Umpqua National Forest. The climb lasted 20 miles with hardly any let up and varied between
7 and 13 %. By 2pm I crested the first rise having cycled up 1300 metres to an elevation of 1450 m. It was getting cold by now, dropping from 17 degrees to 10, so a jacket was put on but the fingers were still cold. We dropped about 170 m and then back up that again to another crest before the big descent, which still had a few lumps in it. The road had a few sections of gravel but was still in quite good condition for a very minor road until the descent which had quite a few bumps and cracks in it. We saw only two cars all day after leaving town, one of which belonged to the ranger.
At the bottom we gave the dam head a miss, which was just as well since the access was locked, and rode into Oakridge to Subway for a hot sandwich and coffee. The first food all day except for breakfast and a few buns. The Best Western was very nice with good rooms a hot tub and pool. Good meal at the Cedar Creek Cafe across the road. The owner told us that tomorrow’s route maybe closed due
to recent fires so we will have to check with the Forest Rangers first thing before we go in the morning. We have alternative plans ready.
61 miles 1550m ascent. Vicious.
Tot: 1.254s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.008s; 1; m:saturn w:www (220.127.116.11); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.3mb