Three Days in Newport ! Bay and Bayfront Views.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Newport
July 31st 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 31, 2013 - Wednesday

Nothing much today, a real down time for us for a change. Sooo, nothing to report except our walk on the pier tonight. One fellow caught a HUGE male Dungeness crab - supper! And at the cleaning table, wow, two big Coho Salmon and some huge Albacore Tuna.

Sorry folks, that was it for today.

August 1, 2013 - Thrusday

Here it is, another month all ready! I guess we’re having way too much fun.

A lazy morning again, and then to Fish Tails for another round of the Marionberry stuffed French toast for Marge – yum! Will had the Slumgullion, a clam chowder with shrimp and white cheeses; he said it was pretty fine! From there we went to the Newport Aquarium, uh oh, long line, even at 1:30. We decided to wait til Monday morning.

Had our usual walk to the pier and saw a couple who caught a Female Dungeness crab and kept it – that’s a real no, no. Also saw a whole lot of fishermen who had caught a huge amount of the Albacore tuna, cleaning and filleting it. You can tell the pros from the newbies when you watch the filleting process.

Not too interesting a day again, sorry about that.

August 2, 2013 - Friday

Spent the morning down on the main street at Bay Front – lots of little shops and commercial fisheries with the trucks weaving in and out the narrow street along the bay. All makes for great ambiance in this small town with the ocean smells, the shrimp tails falling by the thousands off of the conveyor belt, the boats passing by continually, and of course, the sea lions barking and the sea gulls with their shrill calls. You definitely know where you are.

In the afternoon we had the opportunity to visit and meet with an author of children’s books who lives here in the Marina on her Chris Craft yacht. We walked down to her slip and were greeted and got to see the entire yacht, all 3 levels. She’s right in the action there too with all the fishing boats coming in with their catch. We spent an hour and a half with her and even heard about an upcoming novel “The O’Connor Bar and Grille”, fashioned after the Rogue Brewery here in Newport right on the Bay as well; they also have a restaurant. This lady, Lee Williams, first name to friends, Marcia, has led a very colorful life and we were entranced the entire time we were there. She is also quite an accomplished quilter and I know that many of you would have loved to see the quilts she has on display. One was done with various teapots, one was very nautical, one was Oriental ladies, there were wilderness quilts, heart quilts of every conceivable fabric and on and on! A very interesting afternoon.

In the evening we took our daily walk to the pier but ended up stopping for a long time at the fish cleaning tables to see the catch of the day. Of course, more Tuna and Halibut – this time a 100 lb. and a 51 lb. Halibut on display. We were only able to get a picture of the 51 lb. halibut, as the 100 lb. was earlier in the day and we were w/out the camera. It’s amazing to watch these guys clean and fillet, they do it so quickly. We were told that after so much tonnage is reached, the fishing is cut off. Whether for just these species or for all, we don’t know. The Park Host thought this could be the cut off weekend. That will be sad, it’s so interesting to watch.

So, we finally continued our walk on the pier; not many crabbing tonight, unusual for a Friday night. But one family was catching some mighty big Dungeness.

The day started out with the bridge we see from our windows enclosed in fog to an afternoon and evening of beautiful sunshine and 64 degrees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



3rd August 2013

Your new home?
I saw "C.G." and I thought, hm, they've finally bought that house they talked about..."Chamberlin Getaway!" (Okay, 'Mitchell' didn't work here.) And what a view!
3rd August 2013

Seriously...
I can almost smell the salt air....and the fish guts!
3rd August 2013

Fisher Woman
Thought by this time would see Marge gutting the fish herself. Sounds like a fun place to be and lots to see going on.
3rd August 2013

Newport
Newport is a fabulous seaport and we are glad you are enjoying all the sights and sounds of the bay front. We have stayed at those condos with the slopped roofs and outside decks to each unit in the south bay. They are quiet and within walking distance of Mo's. If I lived along the river, I would have a smaller version of that special boat named for the Chamberlins. That way I could fish and cruise at the same time. Enjoy and maybe we will see you on your way through the Columbia Gorge. Always, Steve and Trink
4th August 2013

Newport
Hi Steve and Trink, thanks for the blog comments. We're definitely enjoying the West Coast and Oregon, so very much. We will be leaving next Sunday and headed to Sisters and on East from there on our return journey. Couldn't resist the "Chamberlin" boat pic! Maybe we'll see you on our next Oregon trip! Take care. Will and Marge
3rd August 2013

Will you ever be returning?
Think you two are having just too, too much fun. Have you any thoughts of coming home?
3rd August 2013

halibut
Yum - Marge can have the French toast - I love that fish! Always one of my favorites. I never realized how beautiful the Oregon coast is! Enjoy:)

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb