Day Trip to the Fruit Loop - Part Five


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Mount Hood
July 10th 2011
Published: July 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Lost Lake & Mt Hood



Being wanderers, it is easy to get distracted by what might be around the next corner. On a whim, we followed the signs to Lost Lake. Some of the most beautiful postcard pictures of Mount Hood are taken from Lost Lake and neither of us had ever been.

The road is narrow and winds around without many turnouts, but in remarkably good condition.

We saw a magnificent display of rhododendrons - I don't ever remember them being so beautiful and healthy in July! We also ran into a lot of wild berries and Oregon Grape (Oregon's state flower) and aromatic cedar.

Arriving at the lake, we were ill prepared for the volume of humanity at the lake! It is a very busy place. We had driven as far as we did, so we paid the $7.00 entry fee and fought the traffic of humanity and cars to get to the view point. We got very lucky and found a parking place, so we were able to enjoy the amazing view of Mt Hood from the lake.

The Lake has tents sites - a few elderly bare bones cabins - and some
RhododendronsRhododendronsRhododendrons

I have never see so many and such beautiful Rhododendrons - especially in July!
bare bones modern rooms at the Grocery/Lodge. There are no motors allowed on the lake and the fish are stocked.

Grateful to have seen the magnificent view and even more grateful that we weren't staying, be headed back to the Fruit Loop.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Oregon GrapeOregon Grape
Oregon Grape

Our State Flower
Snow BankSnow Bank
Snow Bank

Snow banks are still visible at low altitudes


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb