A Visit With ABE


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Lincoln City
August 6th 2013
Published: August 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

August,6, 2013 - Tuesday

Our day started with a trip North to Lincoln City and a really long (7 miles) town along the coast. At the very end if you turn off by the DQ you can see a statue of Abraham Lincoln on his horse. The horse has his head down and Abe is reading a book. He was asked in 1848 to be the Governor of Oregon but turned it down in order to be a lawyer on horseback. Very interesting historical fact.

From there we went to a Tanger Outlet Mall and yes, had to stop for an Espresso and a Chai Latte – the best one I’ve had yet - and walked around and checked out the shops. Then to Mo’s for some yummy halibut and salmon. Then our return trip home, along the fogged in coast, all day it seemed. It was a really foggy day all up and down the coast. Temp still has not hit 70 degrees even on the sunniest day.

Our evening walk to the pier was fun as usual; no fishermen cleaning fish but lots of people on the pier crabbing. A couple people had some really huge Dungeness crabs and one lady there, seemingly an expert on the Dungeness, was telling us all about them and their molting and mating. Always something to learn out there.

A good day, but a bit tiring.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



8th August 2013

Where's the Ocean???
A man on a horse. Okay a FAMOUS man on a horse! I want ocean and cute little animals! I didn't know Abe was a lawyer on a horse, though. Was he actually ever in Oregon?
8th August 2013

Tired???
I did not know that bit of hist. about Abe. "Mall tiredness"???

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb