Mt. Howard - Hope You are not Tired of Alpine Pictures...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » La Grande
July 22nd 2013
Published: July 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 22, 2013 - Don't miss the panorama and 74 pics

What a beautiful morning. We took the Tram up to the top ofMt.Howard, 8200’, right here in theWallowaLakeVillage. We could walk to it. Our first stop was the Summit Restaurant for breakfast with some killer bacon. Thought of Kyle! The Marmots & chipmunks were all around us as we ate, begging for food. Another critter, theClark’s Nutcracker was begging for food too from the trees. It made for a lively breakfast.

Next we explored the trails and saw some unbelievably awesome sights. The light on the surrounding mountains and onWallowaLake, way below, took our breath away. And the views going up in the Tram were outstanding as well. We ascended 4100’ vertical and it took almost 20 minutes. On the trails were many Golden Headed Squirrels too; they have the appearance of a chipmunk but are much larger and the black side stripe doesn’t go all the way along the cheeks. We also saw a few gophers along the way.

On the trail we saw some Alpine Kittentails and the MultiStacked Clover. So many unique wildflowers everywhere on the mountain.

Our trip down in the Tram was just as wonderful as going up and we really had a great time.

We had lunch when we returned and then Will wanted to go back up the Mountain. Marge stayed at the camper. When Will returned we did our usual walk around the park, down to the river and then through the village to the State Park and to the Lake and back.

A busy, fun, and exciting day all around


Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd July 2013

Ha! Never!
I loved all gazillion pics! Amazing, incredible beauty! Especially loved the little animals, either golden squirrel my fave. I can't tell the diff between marmots and groundhogs. Guess you have to be there...lucky you. Thank you for the sweet pretty kitty tails.
23rd July 2013

wow!
Never get tired of looking at mountains - here and everywhere! Such lovely pictures. You two really help me begin the day with beauty. Thanks for sharing.
23rd July 2013

Beautiful!! Reminds me of some of the places we went skiing. There's nothing like the top of a mountain. Did you really like the tram ride?
23rd July 2013

Amazing views!
You're definitely in the nosebleed section! The panorama leaves me speechless! The Clark's Nutcracker looks like a parrot to me (the untrained eye). I thought maybe you'd be trying hang gliding?
23rd July 2013

Beautiful!
Proof that a picture is now worth MORE than a thousand words. Enjoying each and every one of them. Thanks.

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb