The competition commences


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Eugene
July 23rd 2014
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.069, -123.082

Tuesday was the first day of competition. We arrived at the track about 9-45am ready for the start at 10am.As we walked to the gate we passed the Eugene Bomb Disposal vehicle outside the Warm-up Track. I don't know whether to feel reassured or frightened! The Heptathlon and Decathlon both started today and there were Aussies in both so we were keen to follow them. Cedric Dubler from Queensland had been to the last Oceania Champs so I know him and he is a great young man. He ran a PB in the 100 and followed that up by jumping 7-47m in the Long Jump, a new Championship record for the Decathlon. Cassie Simmons in the Heptathlon also ran a PB in her hurdles, a good start for the team.

We were sitting up in the IAAF President's box, meaning we had seats in the main strait just near the finish line and were given cushions rather than sitting on the wooden board seats. We saw Seb Coe there and several other faces we knew. Our girls both qualified for the finals in the Pole Vault,and all the runners got through to the next round. Several of them ran PBs, an excellent omen of things to come. The two Georgias in the 800 were particularly impressive.

At lunch time we found The Wild Duck and had lunch then went back the house for a short rest before venturing out for the evening session.There were more qualifying rounds and we caught up with Geoff Gardiner and also met Sergei Bubka in the IAAF Lounge. The Opening Ceremony was thankfully short and then it was the final of the men's 10,000 metres which was accompanied by a specially composed piece of music played by the University of Oregon's orchestra which was called, imaginatively, "Music for the 10,000 metres". Two Japanese runners took off and were ahead by half a lap but the second group, led by two Kenyans and an Ugandan gradually overtook them and in the end the Ugandan won. It was an interesting race.

Afterwards we went back to the Wild Duck for a drink and met with Peter and his friends. It was lovely to see Julie again, Peter's ex girlfriend with whom we had stayed in Milton Keynes about 20 years ago. There was also an interesting couple, Lawrie and Gwen who provided an evening of good conversation and convivial company. The place was buzzing. We went home about 11-30 and then sat up chatting until nearly 2. A late night but a good one.

Wednesday we were a little later to the track and arrived about 10-30am.The weather had turned cool and it was raining. It was a steady drizzle, just enough to be annoying for us and the athletes. Cedric had been the overnight leader in the Decathlon and we missed his hurdles but found out he had run another PB. His discus wasn't good but he was still in second place after that. Cassie was placed 9th and she jumped well in the Long Jump. The Aussies continued to do well with Bryce Collins making it through to the Semifinals in the 400 hurdles and both Georgias qualifying for the 800 metre final. Georgia Wassall looked particularly strong. Saw loads more people we know. Cherry Harvey and Matt Mahon sat with us for quite a while and we had a chat with Peter Hannan who is coaching Cassie.

For lunch we drove Downtown to go to a restaurant we had visited the last time we were here. This is called Ambrosia's and has a cool bar area as well as the restaurant. We decided the best thing to do this week is have a substatnial lunch and then grab a snack from the VIP Lounge for dinner. I had a lovely tomato and gorgonzola soup and then a pasta with chicken and asparagus in a cream sauce. Very tasty though the soup could have been warmer. Fletcher had Minestrone and then a chicken fettucine in a tomato/cream sauce. Both were very nice he said. We then tried to find the Tsunami bookshop but didn't go far enough to find it. Another day!

After a short break at Peter's it was back for the evening session. The clouds had blown away and it was a pleasant evening.This time we went to the Lounge early and had a glass of wine before taking our seats. Cedric had returned to first place after his Pole Vault, but though he threw a PB in the javelin the Czech competitor threw 10 metres further relegating Cedric to second again. The 1500 was an effort for both with Cedric beating his opponent but not by enough to take the gold. An excellent effort though. He had done 7 PBs out of 10 events and take the first medal for Australia. Cassie did well by finishing 8th overall. The night finished with the running of the two 100 finals which were exciting.

We again returned to the Wild Duck for some drinks and the word is getting around for it was even busier than last night. Gunther, Cherry and Matt came back with us too. It didn't take long to go to sleep when we got home!! So far all is going well.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb