We don't need men to camp-One night in Crater Lake, OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Crater Lake
July 29th 2009
Published: August 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Crater Lake


Crater Lake was our first camping experience without men. No Juan Rambo to wake us with hot coffee and a brush up with mountain lion/bear survival skills. No Texas Red and splitting a bottle of wine three ways--the bottle was up to us this time. Building a fire was all ours. Scaring the bears with the manliest and growliest yawps we could muster was our task alone. Juan Rambo told us and we quote, "What I like to do is pick up a large boulder and then smash it because it makes a lot of noise." Umm. Thanks Juan Rambo, but we might not be able to lift the giant boulders! Perhaps we could instead go into cheerleader formation and look taller and scarier than a bear that way. Bears in the campground? Who cares? J. Karankawa even went to the loo in the middle of the night, all by herself--leaving Generalissimo sleeping alone and unawares! Guess we both flew solo in bear territory that night. So much for the cheerleading pyramid stunt. Switch to plan B: press the panic button on the car key to set off the alarm?

Stumptown coffee never tasted so good in the morning as it did when we brewed it up fresh and hot for ourselves before we strolled out to enjoy the breath-taking blue vistas of Crater Lake. The lake looked like a basket of sky with the cottony clouds so perfectly reflected in the still silvery blue waters. Snow still ringed the edges and caps of the volcanic ridge where we perched on the cliff overlook shaded by tall pines. If ever in Oregon, this is one detour you won't want to miss.

Jenny K's quote of the day: "Did you see that? That sign says, "There are bears in this campground!"

Generalissimo's Quote of the day: "Was that a picture of Willie Nelson in the gas station?" Folks, we went to an AMAZING sustainable gas station on the way to crater lake. Just picture, all organic local treats, tasty to-go vegan meals, fresh espresso (real espresso) and Generalissimo's favorite brand of organic half and half at steal of deal price. Oh and yeah, Willie Nelson's picture was hanging on the wall. This Sequential gas station in Eugene was a little eco-friendly vegan gas station paradise: http://www.epa.gov/swerosps/bf/success/lane_county_or.pdf You'll want to "go to there."





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



2nd August 2009

What an experience! Thanks for sharing this adventure. You should turn this into a book when you get back to H-town! Please. I'd buy a copy! Continued safe travels~
3rd August 2009

activate!
I had some comment about "Girl Power" but then I decided no one needs to be reminded of the Spice Girls. Maybe "Wonder Twin Powers Activate: Camping!" instead? oh and glad you've avoided the bears.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb