Timber Barons, Pirates and Tsunamis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Coos Bay
May 13th 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We saw a multitude of different sights as we worked our way up the Oregon Coast. We all know what a bountiful bonanza Oregon was for the Early Settlers. We saw grand evidence of that in one of the most picturesque mansions I have ever seen. Perched atop a scenic knoll in the middle of a coastal town was the former home of one of the first Timber Barons and it was really something to behold. Completely restored, it was as pristine as the day it was built.







Another surprising thing to us was the prevalence of Tsunami Warning signs. We are constantly thinking about Hurricanes in the East, but this Tsunami thing is something new to us. One sign in the local storefront window said it all- in case of Tsunami, Run Like Hell. There have been several deadly ones in the past and we even passed the remanants of a coastal town that was completely obliterated in 1964 and what remains is a National Historic Landmark.







Who would have thought that there would be Pirates on the Rivers in Oregon? I know it was just a couple of local tour boats, but it was still something we happened upon as they cruised up the Coos River among the tugs boats and Lumber Mills.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



13th May 2012

Love the blogs!
Keep them coming!
14th May 2012

Coos Bay
We have a neighbor across the lake that moved here from Coos Bay. It must be beautiful. Have a safe trip. I am enjoying every coment! marilynn

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb