Cape Perpetua & Pacific 800 feet Below


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Cape Perpetua
August 4th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

August 4, 2013 - Sunday - Depoe Bay

Started the morning off with our GBC live streaming service. Good to see Steve preaching today!

Left about 12:30 and went to Kam Meng’s for lunch. After a good meal we headed to Depoe Bay, a great place to spot whales. Real misty and foggy today and really not a good day, so no whales. We did watch the boats going out with their ‘whale watchers’ and we did see several large orange starfish in the tidepools, so not a total waste.

A fun time though, looking through the shops and just enjoying the beautiful coastline and the Pacific.

Headed home, pretty late for us, and of course, had to do our pier walk. No fishermen today, none. I guess on Sundays they go back home, that or the fish tonnage was reached. We hope not, it’s so much fun to watch the cleaning and filleting of the different fish.

August 5, 2013 - Monday

We left in the morning for Cape Perpetua, South of Newport. The views from way above are stunning. In the morning on the top, our view was a bit hindered by the fog but in the afternoon, there was much better visibility. We went to the Green Salmon for lunch and Marge had the most awesome ‘fresh’ tuna melt. Tasted like it was caught this morning! Will had a ‘New Yorka’ sandwich with turkey pastrami, sauerkraut, & pepperoni. Great meal. After we finished eating, Will thought the coffee was so good he wanted another, so Marge ordered the Mayan dark chocolate cocoa. Unbeknownst to us, besides vanilla and cinnamon in it, it also had chili powder. Now, if you know Marge, ‘hot’ stuff doesn’t fly. She bravely drank half of it but that was all she could do. Next time we’ll take the name to heart more – Mayan…duh! Back up to Cape Perpetua we went and got some better pics and really enjoyed the views of the coastline.

On the way home we stopped at several Wood Galleries and looked at the beautiful wood carvings – mostly nautical in theme but some bears and birds. Gorgeous stuff, but ‘No Photos Please.’ Wish we could have shared.

Our usual walk to the pier to top off our day. The only fish cleaning tonight were some small fish, the sand sole, or Dover sole. None of the big guys. The crab traps were out as usual and the Dungeness crabs were being pulled in. A lot of wind tonight on the pier.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th August 2013

Been gone too long
Am I seeing straight? You two, been gone so long, you're starting to look like you are aging?
6th August 2013

Where are all the sunbathers?
It IS summer out there, right? Does it ever get warm? I let out an audible "WOW!" At the view from Cape P...it's amazing! You two fun seekers are really getting your money's worth! And yes, I imagine mArge didn't care much for the "hot" cocoa... I wouldn't have guess Mayan meant hot. Mayan means chocolate to me!
7th August 2013

Come Home!
I hope we recognize you whenever you return - you've been away so long. I am envious w/you eating all that FRESH seafood (my favorite). The pile of crosswords is getting taller and might turn yellow any day they're getting some age on them. Evelyn

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb