A Slice of Northwest Trivia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Canyonville
February 23rd 2006
Published: February 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

What do you do with 10,640 board feet?What do you do with 10,640 board feet?What do you do with 10,640 board feet?

Well, you build a three bedroom house, of course!
I love it when I stumble upon something unexpected, which I did yesterday as I journeyed "to the middle of the nowhere" for a work assignment.

I was overnighting in the small town of Canyonville in Douglas County. Situated in the heart of timber country between the hills of the Umpqua Valley, a traveler would most likely pass right by unless they had reason to venture off of the beaten track.

When I casually turned the corner at the Saw & Supply Shop, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a rather LARGE hunk of Douglas Fir.

Not just any Douglas fir, mind you, but a specimen measured to be 110 inches in diameter and 142 years old when Columbus first set foot upon the continent.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

How do you know Oregonians are serious about their trees?How do you know Oregonians are serious about their trees?
How do you know Oregonians are serious about their trees?

They not only hug them or camp out in them -- they build shelters over them!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb