How It All Began


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Brookings
April 10th 2014
Published: April 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So how did this trip come into being one might ask. Well the story goes like this. Last April we were cruising around quite comfortably on our 40 foot power vessel "Jeannie". We were discussing our cruising plans for the 2014 cruising season. We were all set in our plan to finally cruise down the west side of Vancouver Island. We have been told by many who have made that trip, that it is one of their favorite places to go. There are several bays along the coast with a myriad of anchorages. There are hot springs to visit, numerous hikes to take, whales to watch, and lots of salmon fishing. So 2014 would be the year to cruise the west side.

But then we got to thinking about Alaska. So by the end of the next week we had totally changed our minds. 2014 would be the year we cruised back to Alaska. Oh we had fun thinking of some of the places we had enjoyed on our first trip there and planning new places we wanted to see. And the wildlife in Alaska is so fun to observe.

But then we got to thinking - when will we ever go to Europe. Jerry has wanted to go to Europe for quite some time. With all of this cruising when will we go there? So now 2014 became the year we would go to Europe. We would sell the boat and spend as much time as we wanted traveling around Europe.

At first we thought we would travel by canal boats. Then we thought maybe we would buy an RV and camp around Europe. Then we discovered that if you stay longer than 3 months you need to have a visa -- hmmmm. That seemed like a big hassle. So then came the idea of home exchanges. Now we were on to something.

Then we learned about re-positioning cruises. The cruise ships that have been in the Caribbean for the winter months, head for the Mediterranean in April. The cost of these cruises are incredibly reasonable, much less than flying. To us it was a no brainer. Why fly when you can go comfortably by cruise ship.

So the trip which we started planning last June, has evolved from a foot-loose carefree wandering around the continent to a well-planned adventure that is just about to begin.

One more day. . . .

Advertisement



11th April 2014

Cruzing all around
It sounds like you two are just having too much fun, no matter what you guys choose to do you have a ball. That's very cool, you guys have earned it. Carry on, Bix
11th April 2014

The beginning
The trip begins...so excited for you.
13th April 2014

Sounds like a wonderful spring/summer.
Carol sent me your link. Do you have to add me to a list or anything for me to follow the blog? I am not on Facebook. Hope to lee up with hour travels. We are driving to Alaska this summer.

Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb