The seal cave


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Brookings
October 19th 2006
Published: December 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The best of OregonThe best of OregonThe best of Oregon

This shot was taken in a freak moment when the sun semi burst through the cloud. All I did was tweak a few things on the camera and hey presto I managed to capture what it almost nearly was like at that amazing moment.
Wake up. Rain. Eat breakfast. Rain. Pack up tent. Rain. Well looks like winter is coming, and the Oregon people advised us that it rains here a lot. Great, I believe them!
So on a lousy stormy day, we head back up the coast to check out the biggest natural sea cave in America. Unfortunately the locals were not in it. No the seals and sealions were all out catching fish on a great fishing day. We could see them ducking through the water down below.
Heading south the weather did not improve. My sister ended up requiring exercise so we walked around the sand dunes for a couple of hours. I would rather have mountain biked somewhere but considering I would have gotten filthy and there were no hot showers available it was something to think about first.
The cloud finally broke after Coos Bay and we saw the stunning coastline again and a fairly impressive sunset. So it was “pull over and take photos” every 5 minutes until we reached the camp ground near Brookings.
The weather has become progressively milder. I think the cold front has passed through and dropped snow further inland. So the timing has not
The CaveThe CaveThe Cave

Natural cave formed by natures power. Its now home to a large number of seals and sealions. Unfortunately nobody was home when we went here. You have to ride a elevator for 400m to get down here
been that bad. We are only 10 miles from entering California. Oregon in 5 days. All we have seen is the edge of it. There is so much more inland!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Stormy dayStormy day
Stormy day

Waves pounding against the cliffline. There is a lighthouse on the cape that is clouded by the sea spray.
On top of a sand duneOn top of a sand dune
On top of a sand dune

Yea its a miserable day to be at the beach.
Oregon DunesOregon Dunes
Oregon Dunes

Yep, thats them...No offroading allowed in this part.
Sand dunes walkSand dunes walk
Sand dunes walk

It's not all sand on the Oregon sand dunes.
Beach PanoramicBeach Panoramic
Beach Panoramic

Stitched shot of another beach which we stopped at.
Swiming sealsSwiming seals
Swiming seals

Close up of a school of seals gracefully jumping through the water


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb