To Bandon with Abandon


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Bandon
August 26th 2019
Saved: May 5th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Chances are, if you have heard of Bandon, OR, you are a golfer or a fisherman. My previous trips up to Bandon were for golf. With four world class courses (Bandon Dunes), I felt the courses calling my name in years past.



But fast forward to today, and the desire to get out of the valley heat, and head to cooler climes. And why not a road trip for Lexi? So, while it is a 10+ hour drive up here, we divided the drive, roughly in half, by stopping overnight in Redding.



Apart from the famous golf resorts at Bandon Dunes, the sleepy little town of Bandon has a charm of its own. Mostly looking like a typical fishing village along the southern Oregon coast, it draws tourists like us from California during the cool, and sometimes foggy summers.



They portray themselves as the home of year round fishing, golfing, hiking, cycling, and beach going. Hard to believe the population is just above 3,000, somewhat like our old hometown, Kingsburg, back in the Sixties. Best of all, the average temperature in July and August is 69 degrees F.



But I would not be truthful if I told you this town is a fancy resort area. It is not. It is mostly a collection of old wooden buildings and shacks, within a 3 wood of the ocean. It is a collection of Fifties style motels, weather worn shops, and comfortable old coffee shops. Sprinkled within are some newer structures, like chain restaurants and gas stations.



Rather than confine ourselves to a hotel room, we rented a house (duplex) with a view of the beach. Hopefully, that gives both Lexi and us some room to roam around a little, while we are here for the week. We even have an extra bedroom for unforeseen guests!



Perhaps this will be the start of a summer tradition? Or maybe not, as it is a looooong drive from the Valley.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb