Hotter than Blazes! 71 Miles,4700’ climbing


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Baker City
August 7th 2018
Published: August 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Bruce put this ride on his shortlist of toughest ever!

I’ll have to agree.

It was long, mostly uphill and hotter than blazes!

We started climbing from the start and it never quit.

As soon as we left Oxbow we started climbing the 18 miles up to Halfway! Then the climb got steeper until we crested the top at 24 miles thinking we had done the work for the day.

We did get to enjoy a mostly downhill to Richland where we ate a late breakfast.

Since we had already knocked off thirty miles by 10:30, we were thinking we could finish the next 40 miles to Baker City without much stress.

Wow were we wrong!

What we didn’t anticipate was how much the extremely hot temperature would drain us!

When you combine a long day, (70 miles), uphill, (4700 feet), and temperature, (it got to 106), we were just out of gas!

There were no rest stops for that 40 miles. Not even a place to fill our water bottles.

We both had enough water, but after a couple of hours in that heat, the water in our bottles got hot and it just didn’t satisfy our thirst.

We both got to about the 45 mile point and were completely drained.

I personally had to stop every couple of miles and take a break!

I took a drink, but it just did not satisfy the thirst.
Finally at the 60 mile point, Bruce took a chance and rode up to the Oregon Trail Interpretve Center and asked if he could get some water.

Fortunately, the ranger let him fill his water bottles out of the sink faucet!

I arrived a little later and filled my bottles twice before my thirst was satisfied.

On a normal day, I would have jumped at the opportunity to go learn about the Oregon Trail, but today, I just wanted to get to Baker City and find something COLD to drink!

When we finally arrived in Baker City, Bruce bought us each a quart of chocolate milk and we just relished in the joy of sucking down every ounce!

Now that we were finally in Baker City it was time to go to our lodging!

When planning our time together, Bruce used AirB&B to find us a house in Baker City!

What a Brilliant move.

It is a great little two bedroom home that is perfectly appointed.

There is a great living room with wide screen TV and we each have our own bedroom with queen beds.

I am excited about the clothes washer and dryer!

Tomorrow will be a great R&R.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



8th August 2018

Holy Hades Batman
Not Not Not my fav part of Oregon at all. OMG! You two ARE biking SUPERHEROES! Recover well and enjoy that big screen and some a/c.
8th August 2018

The way of the pioneers!
You guys are too strong to ever be in OFR again, so forget rejoining us upon your return! To compensate, we’ll require that you each pull a 100 pound trailer. No water, no rest. 40 psi in your tires....
8th August 2018

Time to get with it!
Tom, You need to start pulling a 100 lb trailer right now and then you will be ready for us!
9th August 2018

Baker City
I love cold chocolate milk at the end of the day!
10th August 2018

I agree.
Chocolate Milk is mandatory!

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0913s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb