Oregon Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Astoria
June 25th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

June 24, Wednesday

Packed up and on the road a bit late, with more chilly, showery weather. Geez, you'd think we were in the Pacific Northwest or something. We headed around the south end of Pudget Sound and over to US 101 just abeam Aberdeen WA. Beautiful riding, though average speed was around 45 mph due to traffic and numerous speed traps in each little town. We crossed the Columbia river into Oregon at Astoria, and found a cheap motel across the street from the river. We visited the local marina and gawked at the various sailboats. We also got a 1/4 mile ride on a trolley that was headed for the barn. Astoria is a cute little river town, and the marina is apparently the cheapest on the whole west coast. One slip owner told us it cost him 1200 bucks a year. Yes, that's only $100 a month for rent.

June 25, Thursday

We got moving a little earlier this morning, and after another visit to the marina to look at more boats, and a stop for some coffee, we rolled away down 101 hoping for a little more sun. Sadly, this day was cloudy and chilly, but at least we didn't get into any rain. That's an improvement. The views from 101 are amazing, and it's really cool to see the long breakers rolling in to the beaches. Stopping in Tillamook OR, we took the tour of the Tillamook Cheese factory. Very interesting. We pulled into Coos Bay about 6:30 and made use of a coupon from the discount rag we'd picked up earlier. This is a tip I got from another rider - possibly named Wayne - to stop at the visitor center at each state crossing and pick up a free map and the hotel/motel discount coupon magazine. The going rate here at the Coos Bay Best Western is $116, but the coupon made it $59. Considering the indoor pool and hot tub, it is worth it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb