Are we there yet? Day 4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma
April 21st 2013
Published: April 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We started our travel to Woolaroc Ranch and Preserve in Pawhuska, OK at 8:30 am, as we anticipated that it would take us approximately 4 hours to get there. Woolaroc Ranch and Preserve derived it's name from woods, lakes and rocks. The preserve was established and built by Frank Phillips, founder of Phillips Petroleum Co in 1925. It is a very large preserve for animals that roam the property such as water buffalo, many varieties of deer, zebras, ostriches,and other animals.

The first stop in the Preserve was the Mountain Man Village. We spoke to the mountain man and he explained how they hunted and lived in the early days. He also show us how to throw tomahawks and we each got to shoot at a bear target with a flintlock rifle. We continued to drive through the Preserve until we reached the museum and the lodge. The size of the Museum collection, which was massive, was disguised by the smallness of the front of the building. It contained 1000's of Indian and cowboy artifacts, paintings and bronze statutes. It also had Mr Phillips entire airplane hanging from the ceiling-we have no idea how he got it in there.

The lodge was very rustic looking, but very grand. The dining area has a panoramic view of the grounds and the lake. And the grand room has hundreds of stuffed animal heads and other artifacts hanging on the walls and surroundings. All but six of the animals lived on the preserve and died of natural causes, Frank Phillips was not a hunter.

We had lunch on the grounds and Al enjoyed a BBQ buffalo sandwich.

It was a very interesting and worthwhile tour, but is also remotely located.

We continued our drive to Oklahoma City, where we spent Saturday evening in historic Bricktown. We encountered a Peddling Bar, knew we were in the right place and followed it into Bricktown. If it had a combustible engine, they would have all been arrested for DUI (however there was a sober driver stirring the wheel and shouting commands). Our first stop in Bricktown was the 'Put a Cork in It' winery, where we did some wine tasting and bought a souvenir bottle of Merlot.

We took a short walk along the canal, and then went for dinner at the Bricktown Brewery, a local micro-brewery. The Brewery is the
Mountain manMountain manMountain man

He explained the daily life of a mountain man.
home base for the peddling bar. We enjoyed a glass of wheat brewed beer similar to Blue Moon.

We are as far south as we plan to go, and tomorrow we head due west.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Invitation to BBQ Invitation to BBQ
Invitation to BBQ

If you had an outstanding warrant you were given a 24 hour head start after the BBQ
Cow thieves and Outlaws reunionCow thieves and Outlaws reunion
Cow thieves and Outlaws reunion

Frank Phillips hosted a all day BBQ for lawmen and outlaws each year.
LodgeLodge
Lodge

Animals in lodge all lived on preserve, died of natural causes, were not hunted


22nd April 2013

Cold ones
I hope they had some cold ones in the peddling wagon. Did they take you up to the brewery?

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb