What's in a name?!? (my travel to Oklahoma)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma
April 4th 2013
Published: April 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip to OK

All the spots are not the places that I stopped, it's just easier to try to follow the path I took. I did not end it in the location of OK that I am in for privacy concerns.

I left Connecticut at about 3:30am on Thursday April 4th. I traveled for about 8 hours down to Lake Anna, Virginia and stayed at my friend's place. It was a house full. She normally lives alone with her two pugs. However, her daughter and son in law put their house on the market because they were building a house. They certainly did not think that it would sell quickly but it did in 1.5 days!!!! So needless to say, they are staying with my friend. I originally was not going to stay there, I suggested I get a hotel room because I did not want to make anyone funky, etc. It was my friend, her daughter, her son in law, her grandchild and their two dogs, along with my friend's two pugs. Here I am and my anti-social cat. But my friend insisted I stay at her place. I did, it was nice.

At 3:30am Friday morning, I left Lake Anna, Virginia and headed West/Southwest towards Tennessee. My intention was to drive about 12 hours to Memphis if not just beyond Memphis. Well at hour 11.5...I decided enough and I ended up renting a room in Jackson, TN.

At about 2am, I left Jackson, TN and drove another 9ish hours into my destination of Oklahoma. I did not mind the drive. I like road trips. So it was about 29 hours in the car or about 1830 miles.

I landed in Oklahoma...probably about what I had expected interms of landscape. It is part of Tornado Alley afterall but let me back up a bit. It was definitely eyeopening coming south. The Upper Midwest...people very friendly, very outgoing..."How are you doing?"...type of personality. New England...friendly but reserved...really they would rather not talk to you unless they either know you or know of you or get some sort of indication that you are not a threat....this is nothing against them, they are just reserved. I noticed myself over the 13 years of living there, I was even becoming reserved. In Virginia, when I visited I did not get much of a feel for Virginians but my friend said that they are very proud of their history and the history of the south. Very proud of the Civil War. Very proud of Confederacy. Evidently they are not very fond of the Yankees (and I guess they consider anyone north-YANKEES, even Minnesotans-which is weird because Minnesotans do not see themselves as "Yankees"-do they?!?)...I personally did not feel like that for the time I was down there in October but being that my friend has been there for a couple of years now and works in the healthcare system and therefore has come across many Virginians...I will take her word.

Northeast-very cement, very city like, crowded. Virginia-very green (well when there are leaves on the trees), can be city but you can easily be country within 20 minutes. Tennessee-it was odd because as soon as I left Virginia (that area right after the Blue Ridge Mountains) and hit the state line, it was hilly like waves in water. Up, down, up down. Arkansas-when I hit Arkansas it was nighttime but from what I gather it was flat because when I looked to the distance, the lights were lined up on a flat plane. I am sure Arkansas is very lovely (aside from Walmart...greedy bastards) scenicwise not much there. Hit the Oklahoma line...pretty flat and dry. Which, like I said, I expected.

Back to Minnesota. I read a book about Minnesota's history years ago (early 2000s). Great book if you want an overall feel for the history. It is called Minnesota: A History by William Lass (I am a geek). Minnesota-rich in Native American, rich in Scandinavian history, along with German, Irish, etc. But Minnesota, especially in names carry a lot of the Native American in it. The namesake is from the Dakota people and is defined as "sky-tinted waters" (which makes sense, years ago when the glaciers melted it created many of the thousands of the lakes that Minnesota has)-Minnesota got it's name from Minnesota River that flows west to east in south central Minnesota. But even names like Minnetonka, Milica, Minnehaha Falls...all Native American influence. Most of the Native Americans were Dakota but another tribe was the Ojiwbe. Whites forced them off the land but kept the names.

Head over to New England...there seems to be far more European named towns and locations then that of the Natives that lived there (**please note, I am still looking for a good overall, easy read history of Connecticut...bookwise, if anyone knows of one-please let me know). Boston. Hartford. Bridgeport. I could be wrong, and correct me if so. All seem to be influenced not by the Native Americans but Britain.

Head south to Virginia, like I said they are very proud of the Civil War (1861-1865). Many places and many names of highways, etc very much influenced, not by the Native American people who originated there but by the white ones that took over. Don't get me wrong, there are Native American influenced areas (Potomac, Shenandoah, etc) but the names Davis and Lee and whomever else was high in the Confederacy...very much all over Virginia. It is neither here nor there, right or wrong, just making an observation. Minnesota became a state in 1858, Virginia in 1788, Mass in 1788, Oklahoma in 1907.

I head into the state of Oklahoma. Native American influence all over the place. Towns, cities, counties...all seem to be influenced by the Native Americans that were from here and they are still very evident here. This is what I would and should expect of all states because the basis in America is Native Americans. But anyhow, the towns/cities of Oklahoma are very proud of what they have to offer. On the side of the roads you see these big blue signs that read what you can see in the town. Some places even have "(name of celeb, etc) is from (name of city), Oklahoma". Which I think is good, you should be proud of the history your state has endured and what you can promote. I just came here so I am learning a lot and plan on continuing to learn a lot about the state. I am reading a book about the history. It seems to read along the same lines of the Minnesota: A History. It's Oklahoma: A History by David Braid and Danney Goble (I use Goodreads website because, if you like to read for enjoyment that site can be addicting...and told you, I am a geek). Another thing I noticed about Oklahoma is the amount of casinos it has. Small, little, boxstore like buildings...all supporting the Native American tribe in whatever area the casino is located in. Almost like Vegas but not nearly as flashy, as busy, or as inviting but I have no doubt they make a profit-if this is how they are trying to obtain their reimbursement for ousting...good for them I guess. Again neither right nor wrong, just observing my surroundings.

This week has been a week of orientation. Next week and thereafter will be a little more freer to see different places.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb