On the Road Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma
July 3rd 2011
Published: July 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Washita Battlefield Nat'l Historic SiteWashita Battlefield Nat'l Historic SiteWashita Battlefield Nat'l Historic Site

from the Dust and Fire Trail.
We left the campground reasonably early to get to Washita Battlefield National Historic Site. They called it a battle, but it was a massacre. General Custer commanded his men to kill the native American men and all 800 of their horses and round up the women and children. The Cheyenne were in their winter encampments and were peaceful. It was very difficult to explain to the boys how something this horrible was ordered by our government. At the end of the visitor center, though, we learned that Stone Forehead warned Lt General Custer in 1869 not to hurt or lie to the Cheyenne again or he would die; he did, at Little Bighorn, in 1876.

The rest of the day was spent driving west toward Santa Fe. We didn't make great time, but got to the KOA in plenty of time to go into town, where we had dinner at Los Portillos. Jeff had a spicy short steak dish and I had fish with cheese, bacon and shrimp. The nachos and salsa were yummy, too. The boys are now watching Cars with the hope of calming them down enough to avoid bedtime meltdowns like the last two nights.

-
UsUsUs

Sometimes it's easier (and looks better) to take photos of our shadows instead of us.
- - - -

Today, we learned that Liam can't really eat a $5 foot-long.

We forgot that my caffeine addiction has persisted for twenty years, so the likelihood of quitting while on vacation in a hot climate is zero.

Statement of the Day: "I know what these unders are. That's where they sleep, right by the uh-uh things!" - Cole

Miles: 516

High Temperature: 98, in Endee NM
Low Temperature: 76, in Elk City OK

Geocaches Found: 11


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Lovely BoysLovely Boys
Lovely Boys

It's rare for the two of them to appear this happy. When I first looked at it, though, I thought Liam looked an awful lot like his cousin Tina.
Our Seven-Year-Old BoyOur Seven-Year-Old Boy
Our Seven-Year-Old Boy

showing off one of his new shirts from Grandpa & Grandma.
MassacreMassacre
Massacre

The boys looked at a panorama of the massacre; the artifacts which center the display were missing.
Cross of our Lord Jesus ChristCross of our Lord Jesus Christ
Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ

can be seen from 20 miles away and is located just off I-40 in Grooms, Texas.
I am the WayI am the Way
I am the Way

may be the name of this fountain/waterfall. It was my favorite part of this site.
Dust DevilDust Devil
Dust Devil

We had just gotten done convincing Liam that there are no tornadoes in New Mexico when we saw this.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb