New Mexico - Texas - Oklahoma


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma
September 19th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We slept in this morning, getting up at 7:45, had breakfast and a walk and continued on our eastward journey on Route 40. The scenery was mostly flat, a few hills, a mesa here and there, and power poles and towers. There was one straight section of road where I saw a tower at the horizon and I counted the miles that we could see ahead of us - it was 14 miles. We past two distant wind farms to the south of the highway while in New Mexico.

We crossed over the state line into Texas. This was our first time ever in this state. We lost another hour and are now in Central Time Zone. As we crossed the state line we noticed that white grass replaced the dirt on the flat roadsides. There was another wind farm along the highway and a big white cross.

We stopped in Amarillo for fuel and lunch. We ate at Zoo-Kini’s Soup, Salad and Grill. We had never heard of this restaurant before, but decided to try it. It was great. They had a great salad bar, a soup bar and a potato bar. And the service was great. Past Amarillo we saw a leaning water tower - small things amuse bored minds.

We crossed another border in Oklahoma, again the first time for both Dave and me. Oklahoma is very pretty and green and it has trees. We found a campsite at Red Rock Canyon State Park, about 5 miles south of the highway in Hinton. The red rocks are pretty, but the red soil gets all over everything. It’s still 83 degrees here at bedtime - maybe we should have stayed in a motel?





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Texas Dry GrassTexas Dry Grass
Texas Dry Grass

Scenery changed when we crossed into Texas
Leaning Water TowerLeaning Water Tower
Leaning Water Tower

Not much to look at out here - these are the best I could do


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb