Miami (Oklahoma, not Florida)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Miami
August 3rd 2011
Published: August 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Made a very early start this morning, on the road for 7.15am; just to beat the heat and get out of Oklahoma city. Drove through Tulsa which looked nice, especially at that time in the morning. Went through Arcadia, stopped in Chandler and ploughed on through Sapulpa.

Then the sun really started to shine and the temperature around midday read 110. I had to stop every 45 minutes or so, just for shade and fresh water from the camelback.

Went through Catoosa which has a huge blue fiberglass whale attraction from the '66' heydays. Stopped in Miami, where we found a hotel with an outdoor pool. We were in the water around 30 seconds after check-in! Took a walk later on, to the main street area. Nobody walks in these towns so we were spotted as tourists right away by 'Larry', who does his tour guide at the famous Coleman theatre.

Larry opened the theatre for us and gave us a free tour, we sat on $6000 chairs, there was gold leaf everywhere! A fabulous refurbished old building, that used to host Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Doris Day!

Went back and had a pizza the size of a wagon wheel!
They eat big in Okie!

Advertisement



4th August 2011

This sounds like an amazing building
I'd love to go in there.

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb