Great Miami River Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Middletown
April 20th 2017
Published: April 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Miami River Tail


Biking on Ohio's Great Miami River Trail








This trail is about 140 km from Cincinnati to Lake Erie and follows the Miami River. In days gone by it used to be a busy canal system.






We did a very short portion at Middletown Ohio (south of Dayton.) There is a trailhead at Smith Park, 500 Tytus street.Middletown Ohio. We found the park and then spent more than ½ hour biking around and around asking people how to get to the river trail.



We finally found a couple who knew where it was. There are no signs in the park and you really have to be a native to find the trail as it passes behind old industrial buildings and at times it does not seem like a trail.



When we finally got onto the trail there was not one sign indicating the name or direction for the entire 20 km one way that we biked.



The trail follows the Miami river so it is generally flat with only a few minor grades. There is a very wide flood plain. Sometimes the trail is beside a busy highway and other times it is isolated.

We were very discouraged to see so much garbage in the river and on the banks. Except for Middletown there was not one garbage container, toilet, bench or water.



It is a shame that for such a nice trail it is not otherwise looked after and maintained more.



Biking north from Middletown the trail abruptly ends near another town (no idea, no name!)



Perhaps it was the time of year or maybe it was just this small section, but we would not likely return to bike this part of the trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

miami river trail (3)miami river trail (3)
miami river trail (3)

end of the trail North of Middletown


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb